Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we trust the police?

It means the same doesn't it? Like "tired and emotional" means "sh1tfaced".

At least it gives a face to the people who are trying to find the murderer. Probably a sign of the times.

This seemed like the thread to post this on.

I'm a little staggered by the talk of "banning" protest marches on Sunday.

I organise events. Some in my own name, but also for others. I've done area and national road, cross country and fell events with 1000s of runners down to local fell races with 50 taking part.

In all of them I have a procedure to follow.

I haver to put together a risk assessment, event management plan and public liability insurance whether via FRA, EA or arranged personally.

I then have to submit my plan to any landowners, sometimes other agencies like Natural England, and my local Authority Event Safety and Advisory Group (ESAG).

ESAG then disseminate to their member agencies such as police, ambulance, fire, highways, hospitals...

I then receive feedback, which might make requests or recommendations.

I cannot go forward with an event UNLESS I take on board that feedback and get all necessary permissions.

If I am asked to amend the route, or change the start time, that is NOT a ban.

It is most likely a pragmatic request because resources are required elsewhere, something we often see with football matches.
    Burnley and Blackburn do not both play at home on Saturdays.

The Police know they can make recommendations, requests, even demands.... and that does not equate to a ban.

So can we trust the police?

Not when the head of the Met states he has no powers to stop a Sunday protest,
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I think the march is on Saturday?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Having not organised a protest march, I wonder if the rules are the same as for organising a race. I would think they're different, but now I'm intrigued.

So come on, who here has ever organised an official protest, and what does it involve? Also, what powers do the police have to stop unofficial protest?

So many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I think the march is on Saturday?
    Mr Tugendhat told BBC Breakfast: “Let’s be clear, the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign has said that they want to march on Remembrance Sunday, and that is a matter of great concern to me.

There have been plans to protest on both days and this doesn't just apply to London.

Barry Town have cancelled the Remembrance Day Parade because of “health and safety challenges which cannot be overcome at this late stage”.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Where is the Pro Palestine march in London?
    The march's route will take activists from the Marble Arch corner of Hyde Park at approximately 12pm on Saturday, head south through the capital down the Vauxhall Bridge Road and cross the River Thames en route to the US Embassy on Nine Elms Lane in opposition to US president Joe Biden's unwavering support for the ...4 hours ago

I'm thinking the government and police need to sort out which day they are all talking about first.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

All I know is that Armistice Day is on Saturday and Remembrance Sunday is on, err, Sunday and both will have events at the Cenotaph.

I also suspect that the wet, woke and spineless Met Commissioner, Mark Rowley will be out of a job by the middle of next week.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Where is the Pro Palestine march in London?
    The march's route will take activists from the Marble Arch corner of Hyde Park at approximately 12pm on Saturday, head south through the capital down the Vauxhall Bridge Road and cross the River Thames en route to the US Embassy on Nine Elms Lane in opposition to US president Joe Biden's unwavering support for the ...4 hours ago

I'm thinking the government and police need to sort out which day they are all talking about first.
    There was a call for a "million-man" protest on Remembrance Day and that was in addition to the Saturday one.

Maybe the backlash has led them to drop Sunday? But as Llani indicates, both days are important days for many.

There's also 200,000 football fans in town over the weekend and the police have to deal wityh that as well.

It includes Burnley, so they aren't to be messed with
    #suicidesquad
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

I trust the Met Police more than I trust Mrs Braverman - but thats not saying a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I trust the Met Police more than I trust Mrs Braverman - but thats not saying a lot!
    I'm not the greatest fan of Braverman either, but the Home Office has been a source of frustration for Ministers for years. In 2006 John Reid described it as "not fit for purpose" and it seems to have got worse not better.

The devolution of powers hasn't helped, because we now have a complete cockwomble in charge of them.

I sense a lot of frustration in Braverman and I would certainly put her ahead of the Met Police where I think the Commissioner is being deceitful and you can get in trouble for standing on a street corner with a billboard that states "children cannot consent to puberty blockers" which strangely now at last seems to be Government policy, although some clinicians have yet to be persuaded :/
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell