Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we trust the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I would imagine that some Fell Runners climb walls, leave gates open, drop litter, park inconsiderately etc etc, but not all of them, one bad apple doesn’t spoil the whole bunch, the Police a lot of the time do some pretty grim work for not a lot of reward, people are too quick to jump on all of them when one of them lets them all down

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I would imagine that some Fell Runners climb walls, leave gates open, drop litter, park inconsiderately etc etc, but not all of them, one bad apple doesn’t spoil the whole bunch, the Police a lot of the time do some pretty grim work for not a lot of reward, people are too quick to jump on all of them when one of them lets them all down
    hear hear

The only time I have ever had issues with police, or seen things that has bought my trust into question, has been at football. Often they are under immense pressure in these situations, but I have seen some shocking incidents from the police at football.

Apart from that, I have always found them to be very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    The only time I have ever had issues with police, or seen things that has bought my trust into question, has been at football. Often they are under immense pressure in these situations, but I have seen some shocking incidents from the police at football.

Apart from that, I have always found them to be very reasonable.
    Football brings out the worst in normally very reasonable gentlefolk. And these people probably bring out the worst in the police.

I think police are just like any other section of society (clergy, politicians, celebrities, teachers) - most good, some bad. What is clear to me is that they tend to look after their own - generally a creditable trait. However, it is here where in some cases there can be a conflict of interest with also serving the public good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    That's true. But the runners are the public. Would you expect a RO to do the same in a race they organised?

Hillsborough
    Orgreave
    News agent in London
    Etc

I agree there are some very good officers but there's a lot of bad too, which is inappropriate for the job they carry out.

Traffic police are the worst with quotas to meet and relatively few serious offences to bother with. I was stopped once for "allegedly touching and coming close to crossing a solid white line". Telling him he was dazzling me with his lights didn't go down well though.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Orgreave

I can only assume that the reason an enquiry has not been granted into this is purely a political one and as such that is unforgiveable. I just hope that one day the real truth will out - we know who was really to blame for this....

That said we should not tar today's constabulary with the same brush. Times have changed and at the end of the day the majority of the police force in my experience are good people and the just the sort you would want to put your trust in when you need it. I have a friend in the West Midlands police and although he would admit that not all PCs are perfect, the stresses that they are put under are far more considerable than most us would even have an inkling of. That does not mitigate flagrant law breaking as in the above example but they do deserve a break now and again.

I would especially highlight the work of the WM Police Road Harm Reduction Team. Proactively trying to reduce accidents by advising and educating all road users on road safety. Their operation close pass has been particularly successful in reducing accidents involving cyclists by educating car drivers and is now being rolled out across police forces nationwide. Modern policing is a totally different world.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

That's true. But the runners are the public. Would you expect a RO to do the same in a race they organised?

Hillsborough
    Orgreave
    News agent in London
    Etc

I agree there are some very good officers but there's a lot of bad too, which is inappropriate for the job they carry out.
    A very close relation of mine is a serving officer she was brought up well by her Mam & Dad to do the right thing, to always tell the truth, to be nice to folk and to work hard, I’m very proud of her I know she will carry this into her work, I think that a bad apple will always be a bad apple no matter what profession they end up in, I bet we’ve all worked with some right horrors no matter what line of work we’re in.

Yeah, but they are pretty useless in my experience. I was very nearly killed a couple of years back. The responsible party outright lied to the cops on 2 occasions and the cops told me there was nothing they could do. I KNOW the party lied and there is social media proof but they just would not act.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43502993

Lack of judgement or a pair of numpties?