Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Boycott Tescos

Re: Boycott Tescos

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Is they are selling Harry Potter book at a loss but still make an overall profit, doesn't this mean that they overcharge for other things they sell ?

Then why are they generally cheaper than other retailer ?

I'd like to see one of their stores clean one day.

And when I get fish from their fishmonger I'd like them not to price it as a fish of different quality. This happened twice to me at Tesco, once at Sainsbury. Or better, these are the time I noticed it ....
    Whats the stat? Is it 8% of all money in the country is spent at tesco? Someone will correct me but its a shockign statistic.

So how do they sell stuff cheaply? By taking advantage of their market share and forcing suppliers prices down to barely sustainable levels. Simple really - the biggest boy in the playground usually wins the fight.

They also make a killing on other aspects od the business - what do you see these days at the checkouts in most supermarkets? Usually masses of adverts for credit cards, bank accounts and every type of insurance you can imagine. Once you're in there you're a captive audience for them to do with you virtually what they wish. Just make sure you don't fall for it and come out on top.
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Quote Originally Posted by Track Fairy View Post
    Just make sure you don't fall for it and come out on
    top.
    Well said.
    It is the essence of survival trying to make the most of the environment you happen to be in. So I wouldn't blame Tesco for making such effort to get as much profit as they can no matter what. I would rather blame Tesco customer (myself included more often than I wish) for falling easy prey.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Track Fairy View Post
    I live alone and buy food a week at a time. Is a greengrocer going to waste time delivering me a bunch of bananas, a bag of oranges and a cabbage? I don't think so. I simply don't eat food quick enough to be able to successfully store it in volumes that people would be willing to deliver.
    i know what your saying TF
    but we as a family have managed with our veg box and we now get some fruit in it but not much
    fruit is difficult isnt it
    i now use the market for ours but you need time and effort to gather it all up , and trying to cycle home with 2x bags of fruit on my road bike is dicey

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    i know what your saying TF
    but we as a family have managed with our veg box and we now get some fruit in it but not much
    fruit is difficult isnt it
    i now use the market for ours but you need time and effort to gather it all up , and trying to cycle home with 2x bags of fruit on my road bike is dicey

I do most of my shopping at the local Booths - more expensive for most products but if you plan ahead or at least have some idea of meals etc it is possible to shop as 'cheaply' as tesco it's a case of not being 'tempted' by the 'bargains'

I only buy Organic meat and as local as is possible - to be honest yes it probably is easier for ME - I'm at home all day and yes I like to cook but I can sympathise with those that work full time (I did do it once you know!!) and really can't be arsed to start making a meal from complete scratch BUT if you can not only is it keeping the local farmers etc in a job you know the animal has been fairly treated before it's been slaughtered and ultimately it tastes so much better - I like to enjoy my food and get satisfaction from a decent meal and I guess because I'm a fussy bugger I can tell the difference!!

if you can make the effort even once in a while it's worth it!

I've looked into a veg box before and couldn't find anyone who sold them small enough for me to eat my way through before things go off. Great for a family or a veg freak (which I'm not incidentally) but not an option for a loner like myself!!
    Counted the number of different insurance leaflets in asda today. Buildings, car, possessions, pet (?!), life and a couple more I can't remember. Not to mention credit cards, savings accounts and so on.

Watch your backs people - they're hypnotising us!!
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Master and MR

before catching the bus home i got the weeks fruit from the market

big bunch of bananas
    about 15 apples
    pears
    oranges
    grapes
    strawberrys
    cost about £5
    a big bag full and no BLOODY PACKAGING

If any of you have any investments (Maxi ISAs, bonds etc) or Pensions that are invested in ethical funds, then there is quite a good chance that the top fundholdings are Vodaphone, HBOS, BT and Tesco unless the fund is rated dark green (i.e it has the most stringent acceptance tests).

So, investigate carefully if it's a company that you want to avoid.