Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: All t'Wainwrights attempt

Three important messages for everyone supporting Steve.

Donations from his blog

Most importantly, please make a donation to Steve's charities (link below). Just a small donation from everyone will really make a collective big difference and each time I tell Steve how much the donations have increased you can see how motivating it is for him.
    https://www.justgiving.com/Steve-Birkinshaw1/

Run with Steve
    If you are keen to run with Steve this will be a once in a generation opportunity to see a major fell running record broken (fingers crossed everything still goes to plan). Regardless, it would be fantastic for Steve to have a big crowd of runners to accompany him on the last leg into Keswick.

If he is on schedule it'll mean leaving Newland Hause at roughly 1800 on Friday evening and running/walking (slowly) to Keswick. It is 17km with 1000m of ascent. Steve should arrive in Keswick about about 2300. Anyone joining Steve will need to check his tracker to make sure they arrive at Newlands Hause in time to join him as obviously his timings may change. I'll keep the blog as up to date as I can with the ETA.

Here is the location of Newland Hause: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...earchp=ids.srf

It would of course be possible to run a shorter leg and Steve from Catbells onwards. He should arrive at Catbells at 2201 if he is on schedule.

Don't miss out on this opportunity to run into the records books with a fell running legend!

See Steve Finish
    Steve is due to finish at 2311 at Moot Hall in Keswick. Please come down and cheer him in. It'll be an amazing atmosphere and definately an occasion to say..."I was there"

I'll be on the last leg in spirit only unfortunately, off to donate now

s

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    Most importantly, please make a donation to Steve's charities (link below). Just a small donation from everyone will really make a collective big difference and each time I tell Steve how much the donations have increased you can see how motivating it is for him.
    https://www.justgiving.com/Steve-Birkinshaw1/
    Impressive, donations on both this and the other page
    https://www.justgiving.com/Steve-Birkinshaw
    have doubled since last I looked!

It's hard to get your head round big numbers, especially when for these particular numbers to be meaningful you need to remember many have never tried fell running or ultra distances and so can't easily relate to the challenges of terrain and mental toughness. Sobering to think what Steve is doing is the best part of a Bob Graham every day for almost a week, that his distance is about 300m / 500k when many people's idea of a long distance challenge is 26m / 42k, the overall ascent is equivalent to four and a half Everests (VK races have increased in popularity, and here's a virtical 36k!), he's had 4 hours sleep a night for a week when most struggle to function after just one night like that and that's likely without doing much exercise, and his feet are painful enough to make him cry. Immense. I hope he enjoys his beer at the end when he's good and ready !
    Last edited by Knightrunner; 20-06-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    It's hard to get your head round big numbers, especially when for these particular numbers to be meaningful you need to remember many have never tried fell running or ultra distances and so can't easily relate to the challenges of terrain and mental toughness. Sobering to think what Steve is doing is the best part of a Bob Graham every day for almost a week, that his distance is about 300m / 500k when many people's idea of a long distance challenge is 26m / 42k, the overall ascent is equivalent to four and a half Everests (VK races have increased in popularity, and here's a virtical 36k!), he's had 4 hours sleep a night for a week when most struggle to function after just one night like that and that's likely without doing much exercise, and his feet are painful enough to make him cry. Immense. I hope he enjoys his beer at the end when he's good and ready !
    I couldn't agree more - I've been furtively watching the tracker all week long from my desk and it's just unbelievable, total respect to the man.

If circumstances had been different I'd have been at Newlands Hause without fail, however for once I'm not Cumbria-bound this weekend. I hope his arrival in Keswick is the huge, massive event it deserves to be.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Just a dozen to go! The finish is (literally) in sight
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Just a dozen to go! The finish is (literally) in sight
    Steve would knock off those you need still in a morning Bob!

tbh I've totally lost track of my count. Maybe 100 done
    Poacher turned game-keeper

TBH Andy, there's about 160 "good uns", about 30 "so-so" and the rest are there to make up the numbers. (And that's coming from a Lakelander!)

Some of the outliers are really good viewpoints, the fillers-in are those that are just pimples on side ridges (Hartsop Howe; Hart Side; Long Side and the like), sometimes a fell "top" is just what appears to be the top from the valley floor and the real top is behind - Eagle Crag and Sergeant's Crag in Borrowdale for example. Unless you really want to tick them off then just do the main horseshoes and ridges plus any that you happen to be near for a quick hit or short easy day.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Some of the outliers are really good viewpoints, ... sometimes a fell "top" is just what appears to be the top from the valley floor and the real top is behind - Eagle Crag and Sergeant's Crag in Borrowdale for example.
    Or indeed Greystones which Steve went to this morning. We went to the highest top, another top and then the Wainwright which was a great viewpoint and probably the cairn you can see from the valley. We could imagine AW sitting there having tea and sarnies.

Super Moderator
    Harter Crag (Eskdale), Loughrigg, Grey Friar, Dale Head, Fleetwith Pike, Yewbarrow and Slight Side are some of my personal favourites

What Steve is doing has taken some sinking in for me. What an achievement it'll be!
    Poacher turned game-keeper