Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapering

Plyometric squats

Did some of these yesterday for the first time, having agreed to do an Insanity workout with a friend.

Did a steady 10 miles today. The pain in my quads on the downhill told me they worked!

I hit peak intensity 3 weeks ago - up to about 65 miles a week in the lakes
    The following week deep fatigue set in and I just listened to my body and rested - only managing 20 miles, mainly on flattish roads, just to keep leg turnover and remind myself I am a runner. Subsequent week about 40 miles, including 2 hard 2 hour moorland sessions at a good pace. Since then 1 10 mile off road run on rough ground just to keep the core stimulated, otherwise a few easy road runs and a couple of short speed sessions, and some swimming to unload the joints; all culminating in a parkrun PB this morning by 17 seconds - which I was over the moon with!

Tapering can play tricks on the mind - I have been convinced my fitness is oozing away over the last 2 weeks - frequently tired and heavy legged, and lots of minor aches. My parkrun result however has dispelled that notion - and I actually feel mentally and physically at peak fitness, with just one week to go. It is all about getting 'in the zone' now. Next week I will run twice - a maximum of 3 gentle miles on each occasion, and also 1 brisk walk up Clough Head and back on Thursday just to remind my climbing muscles of what they are about to receive! Consecutive nights of good sleep are very important too - something which is easy to overlook and frequently difficult to achieve.

Good on yer Max...hope all goes well mate. You'll be fine.

I have a few niggles, so doing very little now except stretching, cycling and hilly walking. Going up to Keswick on Thursday.

Good luck mate.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    Good on yer Max...hope all goes well mate. You'll be fine.

I have a few niggles, so doing very little now except stretching, cycling and hilly walking. Going up to Keswick on Thursday.

Good luck mate.
    Cheers

Where are you stopping, and what time are you off on Friday Simon?

I trained up until 2 weeks out. 10000ft for 10 weeks apart from London marathon and a weekend in Madrid taking in a half marathon. On the Saturday before BGR I ran for 90 mins on the road then didn't run again until BGR on the Friday. 21:48 so whether it's right of wrong who knows....worked for me

For my first attempt I did a three-week taper and felt that this was too long, I went stir-crazy. I picked up a nasty injury on that first effort so it I had a 4-week recovery, a month of solid training, a two-week taper then off again, this time with success. My last run was actually 6 days prior to the event and was the (fast) run in from Newlands with Carol Morgan on her BGR. It gave me some incentive and focus for the following weekend!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

I've been having problems with my right knee, pain behind my patella, so I'm keen for a long rest prior to my attempt. I paced for Phil on leg 2 on Friday night and then did a slow leg 3 yesterday. I could feel my knee on decents but the longer the descent the better, pain eased off after a while. I'm feeling confident as pain is not enough to stop me, just niggley in background. I've put the miles in and climbed the feet so a gentle jog round otley chevin later next week will be enough I think. I go on 3/4th July. I would of trained more had my knee not needed longer rests between runs. But hey that's life lol.

The way you were traveling on Friday night I don't think you have much to worry about. Good luck with it and thanks for your help. Are you taking a tracker? Would be great to see how your doing and cheer you on ( from my armchair ) cheers Phil

Alright Phil. Yes I'll probably take a tracker. Shame about your mates cramp, you would of been in with a chance otherwise. Good luck for next time.