I begin by apologising, which they say you should never do. Despite a Peak District upbringing, orienteering most weekends with Walton Chasers and fell runners such as Rob Little, I moved south some years ago. For this I hope not to get too much stick and hope you'll help.

I, like many i'm sure, have been drawn back to the hills and have a little holiday booked in the Lakes from 8-11 Apr. I looked around and note that the Grisedale Grind is on during my stay not 10 miles from where we're staying.

I can navigate happily and am aware of the dangers and changing conditions having completed many "Quality Mountain Days". I also have a 35 min 10km road PB.

This may sound defensive, but, what can I expect from this fell race graded as AS over 4km? Yes, I have read the safety notes, compulsory kit etc. But if conditions are good I guess people are not going to be hauling a rucksac-ful of kit up the mountain or am I wrong? I will, obviously, be prepared to take it all if the organisers decree that to be the conditions are such and I take full responsibility for my own actions.

So my question is what can I expect? What would you be your thought process when preparing your kit (safety obviously a priority)?

I look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you in the hills soon.

Toro