Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7+ portions fruit/veg

Master

7+ portions fruit/veg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26818377

So there you have it - eat your veggies and live longer. Interesting that dried fruit seems better than fresh.

Super Moderator
    Load of rubbish. Now seven pies and seven pints . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Load of rubbish. Now seven pies and seven pints . . .
    Wine (Grapes)
    Cointreau (Oranges)
    Cider (Apples)
    Sloe Gin (Sloes)
    Amaretto (Apricots)
    Crème de cassis (Blackcurrants)

Meat and veg pie....

My problem is getting that amount in to my daily diet. According to the study, the most benefits were from 7-10 portions per day and each portion is a large fruit or a handful of anything else. That means quite a large amount of fruit and veg!

I usually manage one portion at breakfast, a couple at lunch and a couple for dinner so I'm not bad with it, but fitting another 5 in is extremely unlikely.

Super Moderator
    Banana for breakfast, apple after work; large bowl of spicy courgette, red pepper and onion Quinoa pillau for tea plus two pints of hoppy North Country ale and I've just about scraped in
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 02-04-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I'm vegetarian and I'm going to struggle to get that much in each day!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

A green smoothie is the answer....
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Master
    The Australian "2 + 5" recommendation is two 150 gm portions of fruit and five 75 gm portions of vegetables. The UK "5 a day" is based around 80 gm portion sizes - so the Australian recommendation is actually about 8.5 UK portions. The Australians also permit potatoes and sweet potatoes.
    Weighing some fruit in the kitchen: medium apple 155 gm; medium banana (peeled) 115 gm; medium grapefruit (peeled) - normally regarded as 2 portions - 180 gm; - so I suspect those eating a lot of fruit have been getting more portions than they realise.

With the current obesity epidemic, I wonder if it might be better to ask people to eat less. It would be tragic if people are edging towards diabetes by cramming in more fruits and vegetables with the belief that they're being healthy.

What we need is nice slogan. Something like: 7 a day unless you're fat

Master
    The association between high fruit/vegetable intake - particularly vegetables - is of course just that, an association, and it may be that those who ate lots of fruit/vegetables had no room for calorie dense foods and this contributed to the benefit. It is difficult to eat too much fruit/vegetables in the calorific sense, unless of course you smother them in sugar/fat.
    Those in the study with the highest intakes of fruit/vegetables were more likely to be female, non-smokers, better educated and on a higher income - though the statisticians did try to adjust for this. But they tried to adjust for these things when HRT was felt to be the best thing since sliced bread - or should that be parsnips?