Thread: Stomach health

Stomach health

I'm a new member, aspiring to run some long distances. As such I've been entertaining myself with some videos and the odd bit of browsing about the whole lark. One thing that interested me is stomach health over long distance races. Quite a few people have mentioned antacids to deal with stomach acid.

I've had gastritis (inflamed stomach lining) for the last few year. It got bad and I had to stop running for 18 months - have started up again since the start of the year. I do occasionally use antacids for acute issues with stomach acid, but mainly control the problem via prescription PPIs and Ranitidine. These drugs work by preventing the production of excess stomach acid, rather than just dealing with the symptoms.
    Ranitidine is sold over-the-counter. It can be branded Zantac, but the generic ranitidine is identical and available from supermarkets and pharmacists. 12 75mg tablets will set you back £1. You can try following the recommended dosage, but bear in mind that on scrip I'm taking 300mg before bed, and it's the weaker drug of the two I'm on. It also essentially has no side-effects and no over-dose dangers (except that you don't want to be supressing stomach acid all the time if you're healthy, and if you need it every day you should probably see a Dr). It works for 24 hours when taken.
    I just mention it, because if people are having problems with stomach acid when running long distances, they might find it simpler and more effective to prevent, rather than treat, the problem.

Hope someone finds that helpful.

P.s If you have persistent stomach issues, avoid alcohol and see a Dr sooner rather than later. A camera down your throat is no fun and you don't want to get to my position and have to go for zero alcohol, coffee, tea, dark chocolate or spicy food - or indeed have to give up running.

I have no stomach pain still now. But I was attacked with stomach pain about a few days ago and I felt that I had diarrhoea also. But, after t=proper treatment, now I am happy and feel better.