Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coiners champs

coiners champs

What ever you think of the previous races the junior champs now move to Coiners, personally as a RO for a junior champs I take my hat off to anyone who sticks their head above the parapet and takes on the responsibility of organisation. Well done one and all. There has never been anything invented that will please everyone all the time let alone a fell race, too short, too long, to steep, to rocky, to flat, to tussocky, too muddy, too wet, too dry, too boggy you name it someone will complain about it. I fully expect some complaining at Coiners and whats more I dont care, I'm not going to set out to give folk a bad experience but our race is what it is. But if you do have any problems or concerns or suggestions for improving it don't rush off and put them on here come and find me on the day and talk them through.
    We at Calder will do our very best to put on the races that we have been asked to put on and with a bit of luck on top of the hours and hours and preparation it might just go fairly smoothly on the day. That is certainly our intention. Hopefully everyone will enjoy themselves. It will be tough the races are long but its just one variety of race and terrain that should comprise a national championship.
    I would draw your attention to a couple of things. All the info you might need is on the Calder Valley website www.cvfr.co.uk under the junior section however please make note that if you have run here before other than last year then things are very different route wise so have a look at the race maps and profiles on the sight.
    The other important issue is that of kit. ALL U14/16/18 runners should come prepared to carry kit, minimum will be a waterproof. The routes are long and cover open exposed moorland. If the weather is bad enough then route changes may come into play anyway so the need to carry full body cover may not happen. If runners are required to carry any kit then there will be a rigorous checking process that WILL include EVERYONE. No kit no run. ALL runners will be checked at the finish as well and any runner found not to have returned with required kit WILL be disqualified.
    Its no use just having a waterproof at the start line then chucking it away for he race.
    That said I have put in a request for bright clear sunshine anyway so we should be fine.
    Calder High school will be providing refreshments - teas coffees drinks sandwiches CAKE all very reasonably priced in the field on the day raising money for a charity in a Ugandan school that they have links with so please take full advantage of this on the day and help raise some money.
    Any questions email me or raise your concerns on here.
    We are looking forward to it and I hope you are too.
    Last edited by Clash City Rocker; 23-04-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Eden Runners are looking forward to it and I can guarantee our juniors will enjoy the racing. I'm trying to persuade more parents at our club that running on the fells isn't going to harm their children's physical or mental health - you would've thought Penrith parents would know better but it's an uphill struggle.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Much like fell running itself
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

A splendid day at the races today. Spot on in every way and enjoyed by runners and parents alike. Many thanks to CVFR and to everyone involved.

"And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    A splendid day at the races today. Spot on in every way and enjoyed by runners and parents alike. Many thanks to CVFR and to everyone involved.
    Echo all of that. A great spectacle indeed.

Even the start-marshalling-pen proved highly entertaining - Hats off to the CVFR Starters for their resilience and patience in 'counting them out', especially the first two races when it felt at times like you were 'speaking in tongues' when trying to get the runners back into the pen.

Prize winners, U8 race & U10 race photos up on http://www.woodentops.org.uk/ Others coming. Awesome turnout, well done Calder Valley great event!

Master
    Thanks to all. It was a great event today. it was a surprise to see so many runners coming back covered in mud. the bone dry conditions in the starting field were obviously not the shape of things higher up.

Championship and Infant tables updated.
    Any queries, please use the email link on the website.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over