Thread: When knee goes "crack"...

When knee goes "crack"...

Anyone diagnose from the noise alone?

Was on the annual Maamturks Walk in Connemara on Saturday and managed to fall and bent knee badly under my full weight. Heard a crack and it kinda stopped working, could hobble forward but stabbing pain when tried to turn. Spent a few hours hopping off the mountains and went to an A and E and they seemed quite upbeat, thought it may be a sprain and might just need physio. So was a lot happier about it all, and no bruising and little swelling seemed to support this. Lot of pain yesterday but improving today.

Just rang physio now and have an appointment in a couple of days but she was much more gloomy, saying that any noise is bad and may have to go for MRI scan. Hoping she is erring on the side of caution, my biggest fear is surgery as have no insurance so could be costly. And also the thought that all my running over the winter in lead up to my first off road ultra a few weeks back would go to waste just as Irish Championships starting in a few weeks. So was delighted with hospital's confidence, had convinced myself that all my pessimism was misplaced.

Should I be worried or surely no bruising is a really good sign? Anyone here have anything similar?
    Last edited by Conor74; 14-04-2014 at 11:56 AM.

I read this to the other half, a Dr

Probably a ligament tear - which is what the MRI would be looking for. Probably meniscal or ACL. Probably partial since you could still walk + little swelling. Physio will be the right starting point. Surgery will likely remain optional - depending on how well rehab progresses, and your own goals - surgery may be the best option for continuing running. If you don't want surgery, then follow the words of your physio like a religion. Running will be off the cards for a few weeks at best. Swimming / biking will prob be the way to get started.

Sorry if that's not great news, but hope it helps

Sam+1

Thanks for that.

Knee loosening up a lot, can walk more freely now and without a crutch...but it doesn't feel "right". Will see what physio says on Thursday and will be guided by her, as you say. Not a great swimmer but a friend says she'll lend me an exercise bike. Fingers crossed they don't have to open it up, though hate the prospect of pulling back in a descent or nursing it.

Went to physio who pulled and tugged at it and reckons cartilage torn, but as knee not locking or clicking might not be the worst tear.

Still possible that ACL torn, MRI scan will be needed to asses both that and the extent of cartilage damage. But if just the cartilage then no surgery may be needed unless it's very bad. So a little bit happier now, at least knee not completely gone or anything.

Update.

Tore cartilage, damaged medial ligament and kneecap apparently. But ACL intact, and none of the ligaments snapped. And thankfully, most importantly, no surgery required. So back on the exercise bike and doing short jogs again. Think I dodged a bullet!

Good luck with that Conor.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    ..my biggest fear is surgery as have no insurance so could be costly.
    Just curious, as I haven't had any experience with surgery, but I thought things like this were free?
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    Update.

Tore cartilage, damaged medial ligament and kneecap apparently. But ACL intact, and none of the ligaments snapped. And thankfully, most importantly, no surgery required. So back on the exercise bike and doing short jogs again. Think I dodged a bullet!
    Hope you're back up to full strength soon. Have they given you an indication of how long it might take to recover? And if you'll be back out on the fells? Currently waiting for MRI results myself for something which sounds very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Just curious, as I haven't had any experience with surgery, but I thought things like this were free?
    You'd wait a long time in Ireland for free surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Hope you're back up to full strength soon. Have they given you an indication of how long it might take to recover? And if you'll be back out on the fells? Currently waiting for MRI results myself for something which sounds very similar.
    Hitting a trail this Sunday, 17km jog. Really just a question of regaining fitness and confidence, physio was suggesting I avoid full tilt downhill for the time being until my training is back up, which I can appreciate.