Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scott Jurek BGR

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Cockermouth MRT Winter BG story

Trust Daleside to have covered the story
    I remember I'd been out on the fells that week and was totally blown away they got round. Conditions were terrible... there was a shed load of snow on the ground but it was all melting and very, very heavy going. Great bit o' Bobbing.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    My remark that the Western States 100 was a piece of p!ss, was of course a tongue in cheek jest, as we see from other posts even 26 miles on the road can be tough. I would think esp if you are after that Silver Belt Buckle (sub 12) the WS100 is tough as anything else.

I understand that the WS100 is very difficult to get into, perhaps now Scott has raised the profile of the BG in the USA those of us who have done the BG might now have a better chance of getting a run in the race if we applied.
    Yeah I know.. I think silver BB is 18 hours?

Impressive run by the MRT guys.

It'd be interesting to see how I'd do on a fell race like Jura now, I'm fitter now, but I suspect unless I spent a good few weeks back on that sort of terrain I'd really struggle to run sub 4.

Scott and Ricky have probably put the masses off, thinking if they could only just do it few others would.. I think a similar thing happened in North wales with the paddy once CD just got under 24,..but again he just rocked up and did it after leaving the pub one night.. But I think many just thought if CD can only just get sub 24 I've got no chance.. incredibly there is almost no older local runners who did it in the 80's or 90's..

Does anyone know how the Hardrock 100 compares to the BG?

The Hardrock has a fearsome reputation (if you believe the hype), and Jurek has won it on multiple occasions - yet says the BG is one of the toughest things he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    Does anyone know how the Hardrock 100 compares to the BG?

The Hardrock has a fearsome reputation (if you believe the hype), and Jurek has won it on multiple occasions - yet says the BG is one of the toughest things he's done.

I'd take that statement with a pinch of salt.. the HR is normally won around 23-25 hours.. and thats elite runners like Chorier.. I'd suspect it's ~ 50% longer than the BGR.

what's more difficult? Ones also got altitude, is longer and more ascent.. more than the UTMB..

scot did this with no knowledge of the route or history of fell running..

I'd say looking at it, its harder than the UTMB and I found the UTMB harder than the Paddy which most consider harder than the BGR..