Thread: New Glencoe Challenge

New Glencoe Challenge

Just back from glencoe. tried a different variant of my previous 2 routes in the area. this one I'm calling the Clachaig Clamber. it starts and finishes at the Clachaig and in between goes over aonach eagach, continues along the ridge to devils staircase, down to the lagangarbh, up lagangarbh buttress on the buachaille, along to the end, down very steeply to glen etive for a full on midge fest, ford the river and straight up ben chascaig in the dark. Then on to Creise, Meall a Bhuiridh and down to Ba Cottage, before taking the west highland way for a couple of miles, then up Stob Coire Odhar and Stob Ghabhar. From there straight down the steep slopes and up the tortuous slopes on the other side to meall nan eun (not a good idea), then on over the tops to ben starav. down to glen etive then up Fhionnlaidh, over sgor na Udlaidh and Ben Maol Chaluim, finishing on Bidean and Stob Coire nan Lochan before making it for last orders at the bar.

statistics don't bear justice to the toughness of this route - I reckon its about 56 miles and 30000 feet of ascent - but the ground is truly testing - knee high grass tussocks, crags and trackless in many places as well as very steep. I'd forgotten how tiring this is. I was going for 24 hours but in the end had to settle for 30. It sounds very slow (and was), but actually I was going pretty well to begin with (2 hours from clachaig to the far end of the aonach eagach), but the ground is so unrelentingly steep and difficult that it massacres the legs, especially carrying a sack round, and you don't do much running. My legs ached so much that I couldn't even sleep properly once I'd finished despite being very, very tired. Anyway had a great day and a bit out and should have some nice pics.

Re: New Glencoe Challenge

Wow, well done. 2 hrs along the AE is good going in itsself. I've only done about 2/3rds of that route in all, over many separate days I should add, but know how hard all that tussock can be on the legs, good going, especially as you were on your own.

I'm now looking at a PB round on the 10th August. Changed my plan from a 10:30 am start from Capel due to realising how hard the Glyders and the Carneddau are undefoot. So an evening start from Aberglaslyn is the current plan. 5 or 6 O'Clock ish.

Nice to see you taking it easy after your injury

Well done looks an interesting route

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Wow, well done. 2 hrs along the AE is good going in itsself. I've only done about 2/3rds of that route in all, over many separate days I should add, but know how hard all that tussock can be on the legs, good going, especially as you were on your own.

I'm now looking at a PB round on the 10th August. Changed my plan from a 10:30 am start from Capel due to realising how hard the Glyders and the Carneddau are undefoot. So an evening start from Aberglaslyn is the current plan. 5 or 6 O'Clock ish.
    hope you get good conditions iain. we're due for some. I'll just have returned from hols in llanberis the previous week, so won't be able to help out I'm afraid. look forward to hearing how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Nice to see you taking it easy after your injury

Well done looks an interesting route

Bill
    aye. good news is that injury seems to be completely cured. if that didn't tease it out, nothing will. couldn't resists a trip to the highlands whilst alison and ben were away.

In the light of experience I think i can spot a better line with more scrambling - I can see a fourth trip coming on some time . would be good to include a scramble on aonach dubh and stob coire nam beith instead of quite a short scramble on the buachaille. I'd forgotten how wonderful the rock is round there. It felt pretty serious though at 8.30 in the evening on my tod as the rain beat down and I tried to find the route up the buttress (which I'd never been up before) on the buachaille.

john

a bit of a write up on my blog now - see http://www.longdistancechallenges.blogspot.com