Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recce'ing May 5 / 6th

Recce'ing May 5 / 6th

Planning to attempt on 20th June and to recce the whole route 5th and 6th May, starting at Wasdale.

Don't know legs 3 or 4 particularly well, but can get round. Legs 1, 2 and 5 aren't too much trouble provided the clag isn't too bad.

I remember discussion last year about a relatively grassy route descending Great Gable (clockwise). Tried looking for it, but no joy.... Any suggestions?
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Hi Simon - I'm sure I've got a copied&pasted text snippet of that line somewhere, but can't find it atm - will have another look...

what time are you intending to start Leg 4 from Wasdale?
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    Hi Simon - I'm sure I've got a copied&pasted text snippet of that line somewhere, but can't find it atm - will have another look...

what time are you intending to start Leg 4 from Wasdale?
    Going up on the Sunday night; stay at Horse and Farrier at Threlkeld; up early and round to Wasdale for about 7am, leaving car there. Do Legs 4,5 &1. Stay at H&F. Up 7ish; a mate whose BG I supported a couple years back is coming up then to do Legs 2 & 3. Pick up car and drive back to Threlkeld with Larry to pick up his car and off home.

They'll both be long days, but should be good training. If you fancy it, give me a call.

Planned to do Legs 1 & 2 yesterday; up early and parked at Threlkeld. Ran along old railway line to Keswick and got started about 10.30. Got to Skiddaw in good time asking myself "how the hell do you cope with THAT DESCENT on an anti clockwise round!!!?". 22 hours plus in your legs and then that!

Anyway, between Skiddaw and Great Calva, it became apparent that my Inov 8 hydration pack had punctured... All drink gone.....bugger!

Completed Leg 1, but bloody thirsty at the end.

Hopefully, the two day trek will be more successful.

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post

I remember discussion last year about a relatively grassy route descending Great Gable (clockwise). Tried looking for it, but no joy.... Any suggestions?
    Keswicksimon knows it & took me down it on a recce. I haven't tried to find it since, as I didn't recce it again, & didn't have the confidence I'd get it right on my round. It involves descending from the summit to the right of the normal path to turn left on a tiny trod at the brink of the cliffs. It's an easier line than the main path if you find it, & I think it's the racing line taken by a fell race - I know not which. It brings you out at Windy Gap. It's definitely worth recceing in good weather.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I've just done an Agent Ransack on my flash stick (oo-er!) and it's not there
    will check my laptop this evening...

7am from Wasdale's a bit early
    was thinking I could've driven up to Keswick and got a lift with you to Wasdale then do just legs 4 & 5
    but I'd have to get up at 4am to get up there in time

what about the Tuesday - 7am start again?

The reason that I was going for the early start on the Monday was to get as much in as possible, but could abbreviate it a bit. Would a 9 o'clock start be better?

Or else, Tuesday will be starting about 9ish? A mate is coming up from Buxton.

I'll e-mail you later.

Simon Cartledge

Hi folks,
    Also recce'ing on 4/5 May
    4th - leg 3 CW
    stopping in b&b @ wasdale hopefully
    5th leg 4 & 5, early start.

If you fancy company, let me know. If not, see you up the hills.

max

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    Its easy enough to spot coming in anti-clock. The line trends quite left of the main route up, its small and grassy band. Its more difficult to spot going clockwise but if you go back on yourself once your on the descent path you can repeat the line to and from the summit a couple of times to get it fixed in your mind.

Its worth a little bit of time, more if its wet and slippy but it saves you a couple of drop downs when tired.
    Will He Win? Willie Eckaslike

found it
    one of Bill's:

"a good way off Great Gable on a clockwise BGR by any chance?
    My preferred way is to head down the path to Styhead from the summit until you come to a very large boulder, after which the main path stops going down and instead traverses back South losing very little height.

As you approach this boulder (20m) you should see a faint path going across to the grass on your left (N) even if you don't cut across to the grass and go down at an angle (NNE) you will then come across a trod heading down after about 70m, this is the Borrowdale race route.

If after 70m you have missed the trod head down as the ground is less steep below you the nearer to the boulder you drop down, if you leave it too late you'll come down on a craggy section near the main path and lose loads of time.

As you head down on either the race route or your own line the ground will go very steep but still grassy (bits of rock lying about though) If its clear you'll see a prominent flat area sticking out (its only about 1 or 2m in length) head for this

When you get there you'll be on a small trod going N to S and it does join up with the Gable to Borrowdale path but further down from the boulder where you cut off. Head north along the trod, you are now at a similar height to Windy gap, after about 80m you'll join the main path from Windy gap below the first rocky section.

If you look at a map you'll find the paths to Windy Gap and Styhead run parallel for 180m and at one point only 90m separate them, the Borrowdale race route is somewhere in the middle.

The reason I prefer going down the Styhead path are its easier for a BG contender to run down, most rocks are well bedded in, the navigation is so simple its very hard to get wrong and no steep rocky sections to slow you down.

Bill"

Well done that man...that's the one. I'll be sure to have it with me.

Don't have your e-mail now that I have the chance to look for it!

If the Monday is still a go-er, let me know Daz.
    Last edited by lantern rouge; 25-04-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Simon Cartledge