Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trackers - BG 3/4th May

Unfortunately the weather got the better of this round almost from the first summit to the eventual point of bailing out at Mickledore, with cloud down all the way and wind and rain for the most part. Carmine showed a valiant and determined effort, but with time slipping away at an increasing rate, a recovery to schedule would not have been achievable from Wasdale. The Open Tracking tracker seemed to work well and as navigator for legs 2 & 3 it is nice to know the right lines have been taken, with map and compass all the way.

He will be back for another go...

Sorry to hear that and good luck next time. 3 legs bagged is a good training run I guess.

I can vouch for the weather: on leg 1 you should be able to count cairns on the path after the gate at the top of Skiddaw to the right turn for the small trod ... except you couldn't see all the cairns which should have been within no more than 8' from our line. I hear it only got better after that :-/

The clag was certainly down - I have to say I was in awe of the map and compass skills and local knowledge. I downloaded the leg 3 trace from a pocket GPS and it was on the money all the way round.

I used a tracker last week on a 24 hour event - they are the way forward for this sort of thing, and are accurate enough to go and locate people who are lost/ holed up or have DNF'd and are making their own way off.