Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Migraine Aura

Migraine Aura

I've suffered with migraines since I was 13 and am used to weekly debilitating pain and sickness but never had the aura associated with them. As I've got older, my migraines have decreased in frequency and severity and don't cause me too much problems. I've had plenty of contact with neurologists and see a doctor reasonably regularly.

I'm not unduly concerned about this but wonder if anyone else has experienced similar. On various occasions over the last few years I have suffered from a migraine aura in the form of zigzag flashing lights in a circle that closes in to obscure my vision and lasts anywhere between 5 - 30 minutes. This happens after I've run particularly hard in a fell race and usually on an evening one (but not every time). I've seen my doctor to rule out anything worrying and she was happy that it was common migraine aura but could offer no reason as to why I get it. I got it driving home from a fell race last night and it is a nuisance because if it happens too far from home, I have to pull over and wait for it to sort itself out before I can continue driving. I'm wondering if it is linked to dehydration, low blood sugar or anything else that I could try and avoid? Any ideas?

NB I don't get a headache when I get the aura (thank goodness!).
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Master
    Apart from running the race itself what else do you do on race days that is different from your normal routine? Coffee has been incriminated, for example.

Master

Thanks for the link Mike.

I cut out caffeine, chocolate and alcohol for a year when my migraines were at their worst and it made no difference but for information purposes, I don't change my daily caffeine intake (a cup of coffee and quite a few cups of tea) on race days. I did get really cold last night and set off running with white fingers (I've got Raynauds). I then got really hot (overdressed!) and then got really cold at the prize giving. I also really hammered round the course compared to being steadier when I do my usual longer stuff.

I suppose eating could be classed as being different too as I was racing at 7.15 having had lunch about 1pm and just a couple cereal bars and some energy drink (caffeine free) before the race. I then didn't get to eat until 22.30.

Master
    Missed meals and exercise are felt by some sufferers to be precipitants. Have you seen a headache expert to discuss preventative measures?

Oh my goodness yes! I was a regular visitor to doctors and neurologists for about ten years. I joined the British Migraine Association and even went to the London Migraine Clinic for a while. I've tried everything available to mankind from a huge variety of daily drugs (incl. beta blockers, anti-depressants, methysergide) to gum shields to stop teeth grinding, osteopathy, homeopathy, herbal medicine, acupuncture, feverfew, meditation, tai chi, yoga...the list is pretty much exhaustive (I used to get migraines with vomiting every week when I was in my teens so it was quite serious) I now treat the migraines with rizatriptan when I get them but, thankfully, I don't get them very often any more and they tend not to be so severe. I also try to make sure that I get enough sleep each night and lots of exercise to keep me relaxed.

The aura that I get after some fell races is virtually never accompanied by a headache and I don't get the aura with a normal migraine headache. I'll try and make sure I have a light meal a few hours before a race and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Missed meals and exercise are felt by some sufferers to be precipitants. Have you seen a headache expert to discuss preventative measures?

No ideas on what might be the cause for you, sorry. I used to get weekly and at a point daily migraines, most debilitating. Mine are hormone related and settled with the contraception I take. The aura I get is like a string of tiny bubbles, linked together like a worm, that wiggle around my vision randomly. Closely followed by tunnel vision and the inability to focus on anything. I too wouldn't be able to drive until the tunnel vision had passed so i feel for you. Thankfully my full on bad migraines are infrequent now, maybe 2/3 a year. You (as far as I can see) haven't mentioned hormonal influences?

Hi Cyclops, your aura sounds like mine. My normal migraines have developed a bit of a pattern so that they do have a link to my hormones and I tend to only get one a month. The aura only happens when I run hard and is directly linked to my evening fell races (although it doesn't always happen). To be honest, because I'm not getting the blinding headache and vomiting, it doesn't really bother me except that it is inconvenient with regards to driving (or carrying on a normal conversation with someone as I can't see their face!). I just thought it might be something that other people had suffered with.

I've just read on a bodybuilding forum (found via a google search...I don't have strange tendencies in that way ) that a couple beefy blokes get the aura when they've been doing a hard work out. I've got rubbish circulation so perhaps it is to do with a sudden rise in pulse rate and being cold or maybe it is a sudden drop in sugar levels.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    No ideas on what might be the cause for you, sorry. I used to get weekly and at a point daily migraines, most debilitating. Mine are hormone related and settled with the contraception I take. The aura I get is like a string of tiny bubbles, linked together like a worm, that wiggle around my vision randomly. Closely followed by tunnel vision and the inability to focus on anything. I too wouldn't be able to drive until the tunnel vision had passed so i feel for you. Thankfully my full on bad migraines are infrequent now, maybe 2/3 a year. You (as far as I can see) haven't mentioned hormonal influences?

Pre-migraine is part and parcel of racing for me, ie visual disturbances (usually flashing or sparkling in whole field of view) and extreme sensitivity to artificial lights afterwards. Travelling home is often an ordeal especially when I am trying to stop it developing into a full-on migraine, this is most likely 2-3 days after the race when my body has a bit of energy back. Once it's a full migraine it can take weeks before I feel normal again.

I too get very hot when racing and very cold as soon as I stop. Visual disturbances & dizziness after training are also pretty normal for me but usually go away quickly.

I am not big on carbs generally, and the night before a race am most likely to eat a healthy heap of vegetables & olive oil, with a small a amount of pasta/bulgur/etc. Carbs basically give me a sugar rush and then crash (they can also make me gag after a while). I have a lot of fat in my diet & reasonable amount of protein, this with the vegetables helps keep the body in balance and stabilize blood sugar. Protein & lipids are also important for brain function. Sometimes abroad the other athletes have been amused by my salad race-prep when they are busy loading up on pasta!

Post-race I consider crisis-management: as much rehydration (including salt) as possible, fat, proteins. Very little sugar. My recipe is 50% redbush tea with salt & 50% full-fat milk, in my special stripey mug of course And then later whatever food I have any appetite for.

Of course racing is multiply risky: energy drinks & racing cause blood sugar to go all over the place; it causes dehydration (rehydration is I believe what would put a limit on the amount of hard training I could do), and at the same time depletes the body of all sorts of nutrients so it ends up toxic & out of balance.. so the hopefully preventative role of all the veg the night before & straight back on the stabilizing milk, in my case.

And evening races: are you an evening person? aside from the meal routine, it's very easy to work "too hard" in the evening

Thanks LissaJous, that's a really helpful (and interesting) reply. I know you're a really good runner and race a lot so will have a good understanding of what is happening with your running migraines.

From what you say, I definitely need to look at my sugar intake (it is high). I also never add salt to anything, even rarely when cooking, so that could be a factor too. I'm vegetarian and I think I eat relatively well balanced meals with lots of vegetables. Having said that, I have no real knowledge about sports nutrition and have often thought I ought to find out a bit more. I'm a night-time person. Struggle in the mornings but am happy to work until mid-night. I prefer running in the afternoon and evenings too. It does sound like it is a diet thing and that if I manage that a bit better it might help. Thanks.