Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Migraine Aura

I know 2 folk who after cutting out all dairy products completely have 95% cut out their migraine issues. Perhaps this is an experiment you have done or willing to try? I don't consume any dairy whatsoever and haven't for 3 and a half years and haven't suffered any headaches or migraines myself, apart from the odd hangover which is indeed very rare I'll drink that much.

A Different approach works for different folks, as LissaJous mentions about she eats lots of fat and protein, my personal eating plan is high carb with very little fat and protein intake and it works wonders for me. The dairy though could be a big fact, especially as vegetarians seem to eat lots of it I have found. (Not assuming you do.)

Consistent hydration 24/7 365 is of course essential.

Hope that is 'food' for thought
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    24/7/52?

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    24/7/52?
    24/7 365

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    I know 2 folk who after cutting out all dairy products completely have 95% cut out their migraine issues. Perhaps this is an experiment you have done or willing to try? I don't consume any dairy whatsoever and haven't for 3 and a half years and haven't suffered any headaches or migraines myself, apart from the odd hangover which is indeed very rare I'll drink that much.

A Different approach works for different folks, as LissaJous mentions about she eats lots of fat and protein, my personal eating plan is high carb with very little fat and protein intake and it works wonders for me. The dairy though could be a big fact, especially as vegetarians seem to eat lots of it I have found. (Not assuming you do.)

Hope that is 'food' for thought
    Cheese is meant to be a trigger.
    My problem is wife is a veggie who only eats cheese! so that is a lot of our diet.

I have experimented with some known triggers, and the trouble is episodes are so few and far between that there is little statistical significance in the results. Migraines can happen in no cheese weeks, and no migraines happen in high cheese weeks. Yeasty things certainly cause me a problem.

Dehydration, possibly. Although for me at least they rarely if ever/ never occur on big and hot days out which is when you tend to be most dehydrated.

People must react differently.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Dehydration, possibly. Although for me at least they rarely if ever/ never occur on big and hot days out which is when you tend to be most dehydrated.
    People misunderstand dehydration. You are talking about acute dehydration on a hot day; if you were well hydrated at the start you might get away with it, or get cramp in heavily-worked muscle cells but no migraine.

At a cellular level, many people are in a state of chronic dehydration, which is why we go on about 24/365 hydration, with appropriate salt replacement.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    People misunderstand dehydration. You are talking about acute dehydration on a hot day; if you were well hydrated at the start you might get away with it, or get cramp in heavily-worked muscle cells but no migraine.

At a cellular level, many people are in a state of chronic dehydration, which is why we go on about 24/365 hydration, with appropriate salt replacement.
    It probably matters LisaJ not disputing at all, but my case, I drink too much fluid generally - (clear wee syndrome!) so the chances of dehyrdrating are only really on big days out.

The difficulty is , the Migraines are few and far between, and the triggers are subtle not switches. They are probably cumulative - so trying to make sense out of it all, has always defeated me. Except - sainsburys brand hot cross buns. If I eat a packet of those, I can more or less guarantee one ( overdramatizing a bit, but the correlation is good). No idea what in them causes it. Preservative? Yeast? E-numbers? Rind?
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 02-06-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    It probably matters LisaJ not disputing at all, but my case, I drink too much fluid generally - (clear wee syndrome!) so the chances of dehyrdrating are only really on big days out.

The difficulty is , the Migraines are few and far between, and the triggers are subtle not switches. They are probably cumulative - so trying to make sense out of it all, has always defeated me. Except - sainsburys brand hot cross buns. If I eat a packet of those, I can more or less guarantee one ( overdramatizing a bit, but the correlation is good). No idea what in them causes it. Preservative? Yeast? E-numbers? Rind?
    Stress also a big factor I believe.
    The environment we live in today is near impossible to eliminate all stress. There's a reason the likes of buddhist monks live up mountains away from folks..
    Pollution also likely factor from past reading/self research.

We live in a toxic world kids!

Lots of very good advice and view points, thanks. I do eat dairy products but am not a big fan of milk and cream and hardly even wet my cereal with it. I like cheese but don't eat lots (mainly because I don't want to get fat!).

After 30 years of observations, my migraines don't seem to be linked to my diet but dehydration could well be a factor as is stress. It is interesting that they occur far less these days and I think that is because I am active, healthy, get regular sleep and am happy doing a job I love. I'm prone to taking on too much and rushing around or working late to meet deadlines though and then I'll forget to eat regularly and am likely to get migraines (usually after the stressful period, I used to always get them on the first day of a holiday!).
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'