Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: English Uphill Races

100% the correct decision and I would echo the comments above. I was just off the summit in the clag with my 12 year old daughter who had run earlier to support our two U18 girls. They both commented it was a excellant challenge, well marshalled, clearly flagged and were both smiling on the way back down with us. The whole event was really well organised. Well done to Lecky and all at Broughton ( plus helpers from the other clubs ) for a cracking day from all at Ilkley .
    Last edited by Damaged goods; 08-06-2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Schoolboy spelling !

Importantly, the experience of the conditions plus the the uncertainty that the clag brings, helps to develop mindfulness required as they encounter such weather in the future. Good to see them all get their cover on promptly after their race and trot down together.
    They all did well!

G Thorpe AAC

Someone reminded me that we did have a plan if lightning started nearby. In that case the finish team were to leave all the flags etc and start down the track at speed gathering up anyone else, whether a race was on or not. This seemed as safe as we could manage.

Yes I'd like to add my thanks to Lecky & the team for putting on a cracking event yesterday. I thought all the decision making was fair, correct & worked well allowing juniors to have a great experience in the mountains.
    I was also struck how good it was to see ALL juniors racing with fully kitted out bumbags. It wasn't so long ago that hardly anyone even owned one, let alone raced with full kit without batting an eyelid.

Also, the Team Championship requires each club to have at least 6 competitors, 3 boys, 3 girls, to score. Which can be a big ask.
    So a huge thanks & congratulations to Rossendale, Bingley, CFR, Wharfedale, Holmfirth, Broughton, Eden & Helm for bringing such good teams & showing their strength in depth. Four years ago we only had two teams...

I think the uphill only provides a unique experience for juniors, not only a Championship within a Championship, but with the runners descending together, chatting, laughing having just shared a tough experience & brought together by that, I think its great for enhancing that sense of a community & friendship which I see as so important within the sport.

Big thanks again to Broughton, Ambleside, Black Combe, all the helpers and especially RO Lecky for making it such a good day. Especially huge congratulations to every single junior runner who took part, it isn't easy, but that what makes it, and every runner who took it on, special.
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

I will echo all of the above positive comments and add our thanks from Rossendale Harriers to Lecky and everyone involved for organising the races, much enjoyed by all of our juniors and parents.

The U10s results have been updated after a couple of errors were spotted.

Hi

The races are on again this Saturday, 20th June 2015. The forecast is a bit more settled than last year.

Please remember that all runners in the Championship Races are expected to have proper kit with them. U16s and U18s must have waterproof tops and bottoms, hat, gloves and whistle. U12s and U14s need waterproof tops, hat, gloves and whistle. They will not be allowed to register without this equipment.

See the details at http://broughtonrunners.org.uk/image...ps_Courses.pdf for exact details of what is required.

U8s and U10s should have something with them, in case of bad weather, but do not need to carry anything.

Last year there were significant problems with parents and spectators getting in the way of the U8s and U10s race. We are trying to make sure that this doesn't happen again. Please understand that your child is not the only one in the race and that you must respect ALL of the other competitors and keep out of their way. This is mentioned in the rules for the race. If a parent is seen getting in the way of another competitor, their child/children will be disqualified.

Lecky

Hi, are there any results available for turner's races yet? Ta

Published here.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over