Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Wardle

Brown Wardle

Has anybody run the Brown Wardle race before?

At just under 2 miles I presume it's just a straight out-and-back course?

I've done Andy O'Sullivan's Brown Wardle race but from memory that was about 5 miles starting in Healey

I thought it was that one to begin with but it can't be!

It may only be a relatively new race, I'm not sure

I know it was a new race last year and that the organiser is Andy Lee of Rossendale. As far as i know it goes straight up and down.

Dan

Its a more of a clockwise circuit, a runnable (ish) climb to the top, then a short steep descent, turn right for abit, then a short hands on knees climb to top again and fast descent through fields then 100 metres uphill to finish on road. Good little race..cans of beer at the finish!..only 20 or 30 did it last year.

I think Andy Lee from Rossendale Harriersorganises this and it is very different from the Andy O race.

Anyone running this tomorrow?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Anyone running this tomorrow?
    I'm planning to do it, all being well.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

I'm quite looking forward to it - probably will regret saying that though

Brown Wardle used to be a 'there and back' coming in at just under 2 miles but for the last two years an extended route has been adopted which measures in at just over 3 miles.....prompting the quirky name change: Brown Wardle (and a bit moor).

The race may still only be short but it contains 3 steep little climbs and given last nights humidity it certainly had us working up a sweat. In previous years I've raced in the nearby races of Hades Hill and Wardle Skyline, so parts of the course I was familiar with but in fairness it's so well flagged and marshalled route choice isn't an issue.....which is pleasing, as I went a wandering last time I was up here for Wardle Skyline.

Whilst stood on the start line we're informed by race organiser and seasoned fell runner Andy Lee that there are 38 of us. Typically as soon as I hear 38 my mind drifts to one of my other passions: rock music. And right from the off I'm singing in my head 'Hold on loosely' by 38 Special.

What a coincidence!

The chorus couldn't have been more appropriate as I try in vain to keep up with the lead runners-

Just hold on loosely
    but don't let go
    if you cling to tightly
    you're gonna lose control

Truth be told, I couldn't hold on, loosely or not....and the fast start was paid for later in the race with the last climb feeling far harder than it should've.
    Short fell races should never be underestimated, it's great to mix and match where racing is concerned. One week it could be a Lakeland classic where endurance is the main ingredient and then there's races like Brown Wardle where the tempo is technically known as 'balls out'.....not literally, but an airing would've been nice on such a warm evening.

The race finished at the end of a small cul-de-sac and it was uplifting to hear the local residents offering shouts of encouragement. I heard one of the locals say, "he's come all the way from Chorley"....I wasn't alone, three of us had made the relatively short journey over for what can almost be described as a local race in fellrunning terms. I suppose the general public don't realise the commitment us runners have towards this amazing sport.

I know I'm not just speaking for myself when I say the trip over for Brown Wardle was well worth the effort...my teammates Bill and Mark certainly thought so...they loved it.

Many thanks to Andy and all helpers...fingers crossed Brown Wardle (and a bit moor) gets 'a bit more' runners turning up in the future....it deserves to.

Reet...time for some 38 Special.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.