Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BG Support 21 June

BG Support 21 June

Just about one month to go!!

Prep seems to be going well. Can now cover all legs comfortably within the schedule in isolation, and have managed several 2 leg days. Good fast recoveries overnight and repetitions the following day.

Spent the whole winter/spring training alone pretty much, as my time off is rarely at weekends.

As such it has been a rollercoaster - some days wondering if I have finally bitten into something that is bigger than me; others feeling elated and really up for it.

Over the last 2 weeks I have managed to hook up with several others also making attempts this summer, and it is some relief to see that we all appear to be of a similar fitness; albeit with differing strengths and weaknesses. I have discovered that on soft good grass I descend like a pansy, but perform a bit better on scree. Fortunately I am able to shuffle uphill reasonably well.

Eating, particularly solids seems to be a huge key, and once you get behind the drag curve it is extremely difficult to catch up,both physically and mentally.

It is also apparent that on a tight schedule (23 hrs) there is little or no room for error, and if the weather is adverse, then there is an element of luck needed - strong southerly winds on the Helvellyn range for example can slow progress significantly. Personally I have found I can boulder hop very quickly on dry rock, and cover legs 3 & 4 in good time, but as soon as it becomes wet underfoot, again the pace slows.

My focus over the next weeks is one further very hard week, and then a taper into 21 June, perhaps incorporating a bit of speed work. More importantly trying to stay injury free is also a high priority.

I have so far managed to assemble a minimal skeleton running crew, and decent pitstop support, but at the moment feel that I am shy of deep experience. I am probably able to manage and drive things as far as Wasdale, but realise that my ability to do so thereafter may be a little compromised, to say the least. Hopefully not.

If there is anyone who has a few hours over 21/22 June to run a section, or part thereof, then I respond to all forms of encouragement - cajoling, berating, lambasting, carrots, even sweet orange gloup!
    In all seriousness if you feel you could spare the time, then please contact me.

thanks

max

Plan is coming together slowly:-

Legs 1,2 & 5 assistance covered

Still a little light on 3 & 4, but hopeful that a few expressions of interest will firm up.

All looks promising so far.

Thanks folks!

Max, maybe try those who've posted on the BG Class of 2014 thread .. I'm one of those but can't do your weekend I'm afraid

As discussed Max, I will hopefully be on Leg 6 when you start. Hope to see you off, but can't be any more use. Good luck mate...you have the legs to do it, just need a bit more support and, of course, a stroke of luck with the weather.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    As discussed Max, I will hopefully be on Leg 6 when you start. Hope to see you off, but can't be any more use. Good luck mate...you have the legs to do it, just need a bit more support and, of course, a stroke of luck with the weather.
    Thanks Simon - I am nearly there, and very optimistic that something will be forthcoming over the next week or two - otherwise I will drag you away from leg 6 - beer in hand, sleeping facedown in your pie or whatever!!

I just missed you at the weekend by the sounds of things - I did #4 on Thursday pm, and hit atrocious weather going up Kirkfell and onto Gt Gable - bitter wind and zero vis; good job I was just finishing.

Weathered off on #3 at Esk Hause on Sat in similar clag, having done enough. Did not want to be too tired for Ralph on Sat

Feeling quite run down now, so will be resting for a day or two and then tapering right off.

Looking forward to seeing you off on 20th.

Cheers
    max

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    Max, maybe try those who've posted on the BG Class of 2014 thread .. I'm one of those but can't do your weekend I'm afraid
    Thanks Knightrunner - I only really need 2 more to pad it all out and spread the load down to carrying 25kg each!! I am just waiting for a few outstanding maybes. Fingers crossed.

cheers
    max

Accelerating away now! 3 supporters on each leg at last. Nearly enough for a limb apiece.

Feeling a bit relieved to be honest.

What a fantastic testimony to the fell running community - thanks folks. Looking forward to hooking up on 21st/22nd
    Just need to get all my s@@t in one sock and come up with the goods now, so that I do not let you all down!

what time are you starting and which way?

Hi Max. A mutual friend has passed an email onto me re helping you out. Check your email but the upshot is i will hel on leg two if you need me

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    what time are you starting and which way?
    Hi Ian
    Sat 21st 2200 start clockwise on a 23 hour stumble.

If you fancy #1 or #5 let me know.

Thanks
    max