Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Fishwicking

Yes I don't want to start racing for the sake of it. Might have a weekend off this week as Accrington doesn't really inspire me!

Super Moderator
    I met a Fishwicker today from way back when 'wicking didn't even have a name - Dick Ballantine. Dick was once described as a "race tart", on here, which is now a compliment in my view, even is it wasn't then. We had a grumble that we were old and soft before he explained he was on his way home from an 88k off road bike ride (on an Inbred with carbon forks). Keep on keeping on y'all . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Yes I don't want to start racing for the sake of it.
    I think you may be on the wrong thread, wjb.
    Last edited by DinoF; 31-05-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Super Moderator
    “But to say that the race is the metaphor for the life is to miss the point. The race is everything. It obliterates whatever isn’t racing. Life is the metaphor for the race.”
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I met a Fishwicker today from way back when 'wicking didn't even have a name - Dick Ballantine. Dick was once described as a "race tart", on here, which is now a compliment in my view, even is it wasn't then. We had a grumble that we were old and soft before he explained he was on his way home from an 88k off road bike ride (on an Inbred with carbon forks). Keep on keeping on y'all . . .
    When I first started fell running I surprised myself one afternoon by beating Dick at Beefy's Nab. It felt like progress was being made. My achievements were down-graded when somebody informed me it was Dick's 3rd race of the day.

I had a similar feeling when I finished in front of Ben Abdelnoor in the Fairfield Horseshoe one year, only to find out he'd done the Keswick Triathlon a couple of hours earlier :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    I think you may be on the wrong thread, wjb.
    I only 'Fishwick' if I really want to do the races. If I'm racing just for the sake of adding to my total for the year then what's the point? Had a few weeks off racing now and I've enjoyed some relaxed running. It's all about finding the right balance.

We were discussing clashes for races next year at our club committee meeting and came across a combo even Daz may not be up for.

Saturday 10th March - Haworth Hobble 31.7 miles/4396ft

followed by

Sunday 11th March - Edale Skyline 21.1miles/4505ft

Over to you Daz

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dantodman View Post
    We were discussing clashes for races next year at our club committee meeting and came across a combo even Daz may not be up for.

Saturday 10th March - Haworth Hobble 31.7 miles/4396ft

followed by

Sunday 11th March - Edale Skyline 21.1miles/4505ft

Over to you Daz

Dan
    I won't do this in 2018, but these two races seem to crop up on the same weekend most years, and I'm hoping to do the "double" in 2019 as part of prep for something long distance later that year.

Last weekend I did League XC on the Saturday, then Cardington Cracker on the Sunday, if that counts. It was certainly tough... first couple of miles on the Cracker I was barely above jogging pace, picked up on the steeper stuff, but definitely lacked a lot of zip over the flatter sections.

Where does that rank compared to Wasdale on the Saturday followed by Holme Moss on the Sunday, which Daz did a few years ago.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy