Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baslow Bootbash

Baslow Bootbash

Anyone else doing this on Saturday? I'm torn between taking the "recommended route" and the fastest route. Last year I followed the route recommended by the organisers, as did everyone else in sight. I think there were some who took road options & shorter path options though - no idea whether these were runners or walkers. I'd prefer to take the scenic route as recommended, and I probably will, but on the other hand I do want to post as good a time as I can, and don't really want to see anyone overtaking me any way other than the hard way. The rules, such as they are, say you must visit the checkpoints in order, but the recommended route doesn't appear to be compulsory.
    The main options seem to be:
    1. Cutting up left of Edensor rather than going up the village street. No-brainer really as most people were doing this last year, & it's not a road option anyway.
    2. Deep Dale from CP3 via GR160691 (rec. route), or the more direct path to the east. Shame to miss out on Deep Dale.
    3. Paths (rec. route) or roads from Wardlow Mires to Foolow and on to Eyam. Surely nobody will take the road here will they? About the same distance, so the road will be a bit quicker I should think.
    4. Drive and track via Riley Graves east of Eyam, or the obvious road route. The road will definitely be faster here, but it would be a shame to take it (imho).
    5. The river route round the east of Calver (rec. route), or the road route round the west and into the village. Again the road route must be faster.

Has anyone else got their plans made? My vote's for the recommended route, but I'd rather go along with the other runners. What did you do last year? What are you planning to do this year?

See you Saturday anyway...

Re: Baslow Bootbash

I followed the recommended route last year and intend to do the same this year. I think it is keeping to the spirit of the event to follow the recommended route and I would personally feel as though I had cheated if I didn't.
    Being an organiser of a challenge event I spent a lot of time planning the route to make it as scenic and safe as possible, but with checkpoints being so far apart there is always scope for shortcutting. Those who do are really only cheating themselves anyway.
    Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition

Hi Splatcher

I'll be pottering round this on Saturday - I was plotting the route on the map last night and the recommended route definitely looks the most scenic - althought I am a bit confused as to where it goes at Calver but I'm sure I can clarify that on Saturday morning.

Really looking forward to it but also a bit nervous as it will be the longest event I have done. All good practice for my first marathon!

See you bright and early on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by emma7027 View Post
    Hi Splatcher

I'll be pottering round this on Saturday - I was plotting the route on the map last night and the recommended route definitely looks the most scenic - althought I am a bit confused as to where it goes at Calver but I'm sure I can clarify that on Saturday morning.

Really looking forward to it but also a bit nervous as it will be the longest event I have done. All good practice for my first marathon!

See you bright and early on Saturday
    Hi Emma - I'll see you there. Apart from the direct line left of Edensor village I think everyone followed the recommended route last year. The route at Calver follows the river (W bank) from New Bridge (GR244753) across the A623 and on about 300m to GR245742. Turn right here & follow the FP W then NW to a road in Calver. Turn left along the road to the next FP on the left. Shortly you turn left again on the FP that heads SSE heading for the obvious steep hill. When you get to the top of the hill, knackered, TURN RIGHT along the ridge. People have been known to bear left instead & get to Baslow without visiting the last checkpoint (not me, but I made up 3 places in 2008 when the group in front of me did this).

PS What do you mean, practice for your first marathon? This is a 26 mile run. If you've not run that far before, THIS is your first marathon. Beats roadrunning into a cocked hat.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 09-06-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

It's actually 27 miles according to Tracklogs, so Emma it'll be your first ULTRAmarathon. I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    It's actually 27 miles according to Tracklogs, so Emma it'll be your first ULTRAmarathon. I'll be there.
    Ha ha - I like that!! Not sure how much of it I'll be running though - probably be more of a trot & walk. Weather forecast is looking good at the moment so should be a very pleasant day out. Well done on the 100 BritNick a massive achievement especially with your injury problems glad you are getting back to it now. Alison from my running club completed it as well and has been entertaining us with her tales and scaring us with her feet!!

Thanks for the route tips Splatcher.

Look forward to seeing you both on Saturday.

Agree I will try and follow the recommended route, although on the rcci did lose a path and climbed over a barb wire field, i missed the path at Carver and ended up back by the river and the followed the raod up to the woods, looks a similiar distance on the map. My final error was found a path from the last check point into Baslow, unofrt. went round again, ended up climbing a wall into what i thought was a "school" unfort. it was a large house..qucik exit via the tradesman gate
    Should be a good day, not clear from the instructions but is there water on route, woundering how much to carry

Quote Originally Posted by DronfieldRunner View Post
    Should be a good day, not clear from the instructions but is there water on route, woundering how much to carry
    I won't carry water on this one: all the checkpoints will have drinks including water.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Well that was a good morning out! Not as hot as I was fearing, with cloud cover part of the time. Thanks to Gary from somewhere near Derby (I think), who joined up with me on the first climb out from Chatsworth. I went off too fast to be sensible so I was pretty much spent after a couple of hours. Gary provided the moral support that kept me going through the more desperate bits. And I provided the routefinding, so a good bit of teamwork. Some runners were taking shorter road options between checkpoints rather than following the "recommended route" - which is fair enough as it's not a race. It does make the posted finishing positions a bit open to interpretation though. We went the pretty way, with as little tarmac as we could get away with. Chatted to plenty of people I knew (& some I didn't) after the run, including BritNick - back in action but complaining he can't run fast downhill anymore. Good to see you Nick - perhaps you need more exercise. Didn't spot Emma or anyone who was obviously from Dronfield though.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Most impressed for my first LDWA event, estimated 50+ runners. Came in at 5h.39m, did the full route, started running with Dave N. (Shrops) just after Haddon Hall and ran most of the race with him. Did not enjoy the down hill from Riley wood, legs had gone at that point, ok on the flat ...Found the Carver naviation most difficult part but a good event. Next one is the Peaker stroll in July, thought I saw Emma arrive, Agree with you on carrying water, started with 2*600ml but next time would take just one bottle and fill up at the check points. Suprised that until Deep Dale there was a good group of runners together, then they just disappeared.