Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ramsey record attempt

Remember also that Helene Diamantides (apologies can't think of her married name) held the record for the Ramsey along with Mark Rigby until Adrian Belton set the current record. And theirs was, until the weekend, still the second fastest time, having stood for 25 years. Maybe the Ramsey is just one for the ladies.
    Well done Nicky
    Last edited by andy k; 02-06-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Well done again Nicky, an incredible achievement, and truly inspirational.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    Remember also that Helene Diamantides (apologies can't think of her married name) held the record for the Ramsey along with Mark Rigby until Adrian Belton set the current record. And theirs was, until the weekend, still the second fastest time, having stood for 25 years. Maybe the Ramsey is just one for the ladies.
    Well done Nicky
    Whittaker?

It also serves to put Nickys time into a context.

At the time Helene did that, was it not the same era as she paired up with Martin Stone, and beat a pairing of the very same Adrian Belton running with lakes record holder Mark Mcdermott together as pairs at Dragons Back? So that was a fit Helene.. whose time just got beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Whittaker?

It also serves to put Nickys time into a context.

At the time Helene did that, was it not the same era as she paired up with Martin Stone, and beat a pairing of the very same Adrian Belton running with lakes record holder Mark Mcdermott together as pairs at Dragons Back? So that was a fit Helene.. whose time just got beaten.
    ... and she finished 4th in 2012, only beaten by three elite men.
    Helene is still superfit. Working hard and bringing up a young family at present.

As Jamin already said above, well done Nicky and it was a pleasure to be part of it. Some photos from the first leg are here
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rvvx1n8iy...JaulA9SDJYQa#/
    it was a wonderful morning to be out.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebirkinshaw View Post
    I have done a quick calculation of the cumulative fastest big 3 rounds. Here are the numbers:

Nicky
    BGR 18:12
    PBR 19:02
    RR 19:39

Total = 56:53

Mark Hartell
    BGR 14:54
    PBR 18:10
    RR 23:24

Total = 56:28

Chris Near
    BGR 17:23
    PBR 18:10
    RR 20:30

Total = 56:03

So it is really close, with the top 3 all within an hour. However, it looks like Chris Near still holds the record. But inspiring stuff from Nicky

Let me know if I have made a mistake.
    I guess the other conclusion from these figures is that Mark's Ramsay was surprisingly 'slow' - based on the others he might have been expected to have been about 3 hours faster (though obviously dependent on weather conditions etc)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr View Post
    As Jamin already said above, well done Nicky and it was a pleasure to be part of it. Some photos from the first leg are here
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rvvx1n8iy...JaulA9SDJYQa#/
    it was a wonderful morning to be out.
    Saw Nicky tonight she was in good spirits. She was taking entries for the Trunce so couldn't talk too long...

Did she come down sphincter ridge or the gulley off the Aonachs...?

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Saw Nicky tonight she was in good spirits. She was taking entries for the Trunce so couldn't talk too long...

Did she come down sphincter ridge or the gulley off the Aonachs...?
    Down the ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by kcr View Post
    Down the ridge.

OMG!

I was scared stiff on her last Ramsey going down there...

gej,

Mark's round was solo and unsupported which tells a story about statistics.... but Nicky's achievements are inspirational, as are Mark's (and Mark McDermott's whose Lakes 24 tally of 76 with quite a bit of time still on the clock is still IMHO as impressive as the actual record - I think he still holds the Tranter record in a fairly sharp 13 hours or so).

I was out on the Round reccie ing both on Friday and Saturday and having breakfast at the Meanach bothy before heading out on the hill was sublime. I think the simplicity of the line of the CRR and the beauty of the Lochaber hills and its remoteness relative to the BGR and PBR make it very special... I would be delighted just to get round in one push under or over 24 hours, let alone think of sub 20.

Cheers,