Page 104 of 131 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1305

Thread: mr b's comeback

Hope i can get out on thursday, i have what is known as 'BOFRA Lower Leg Syndrome'. This is a straining of the lower leg muscles that control the ankle joint brought on by recklessly descending ground which ought to be shown a bit of respect. In an attempt to do their best, the sufferer foolishly pulls their bag out risking life and limb for race places. This is the accepted pathology, the remedy is stretching and a bit of quiet reflection.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Tonights session was a bust, the conditions were deteriorating fast, it was clear at the bottom of Carr Bridge Drive and laying snow at the top. It was in my eyes, down my throat, i put in 2 reps and gave up. My training rule of quality not quantity was getting violated, it was impossible to properly knuckle down.

Our session (strength and conditioning circuits at the track) has been cancelled.

Will get a couple of decent days treadmill work, before attempting to head out on a quality long run on saturday.

9m speed endurance today, an ACW lap of Thruscross reservoir starting and finishing at Swinsty carpark. There was a lot of snow about which made finding that cadence sweet spot that i look for in this session quite difficult. I like to get locked into a heavyish 2 steps per breath tempo pace and work hard on the inclines to maintain it, but i was working hard everywhere today with there being about 7" of snowfall. I had to stop after a mile and have a number 2 in a holly bush with only icy snow to wipe my arse with, such are the tribulations of fell running.

Business as usual in the wharfe valley yesterday during my 50m ride to the craven arms and back. Gales buffeting you around, a persistent strong headwind blowing down the valley, not good for consistency. I'm going to stop having crumble and custard, it's too filling and i can't leave room for pints of ale.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I'm going to stop having crumble and custard, it's too filling and I can't leave room for pints of ale.
    Presumably your return journey is slightly longer as you sway from one side of the road to the other?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Presumably your return journey is slightly longer as you sway from one side of the road to the other?
    I'm going to switch back to beef dripping chips. After my donation to UWFR i'm up to £22 with a crumble and custard, it's below £20 with chips. Only problem is the amount of sugar in crumble metabolises better into energy than the lard in dripping cooked chips, so i have to stop for calories on the way back. It's an exact science, more so than one might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I'm going to switch back to beef dripping chips. After my donation to UWFR i'm up to £22 with a crumble and custard, it's below £20 with chips. Only problem is the amount of sugar in crumble metabolises better into energy than the lard in dripping cooked chips, so i have to stop for calories on the way back. It's an exact science, more so than one might expect.
    Beef dripping chips might be the better option. The problem with the sugar in the crumble is that it will have a high glycaemic index value, causing your blood sugar to rise quickly and possibly spike - leading to a spike in insulin, resulting a short time later with low blood sugar and a stop for calories.

The theory is the fat will slow down the absorption of the sugars and carbs, keeping your blood sugar more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Beef dripping chips might be the better option. The problem with the sugar in the crumble is that it will have a high glycaemic index value, causing your blood sugar to rise quickly and possibly spike - leading to a spike in insulin, resulting a short time later with low blood sugar and a stop for calories.

The theory is the fat will slow down the absorption of the sugars and carbs, keeping your blood sugar more stable.
    Thanks, Marco!

30x160kg on the inclined leg press this morning, warmed up with a rake of stretches and 80ish bodyweight squats. It's the benefit of having a gym at my workplace; i spend at least 35mins every day working on flexibility, i consider it to be of paramount importance.