Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Keep it up, good work! Steady away and you'll be running to the moon and back in no time
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Dunno about the moon and back, Mick but thanks for the words lads. Really need to see a week on week response from my left knee, it's that one i'm most worried about. I think the undulating terrain is better for me than out and out hills, which is a shame because most of my MMap routes are hilly. I've got a Jack Keighley 50 Favourite Routes book which might be coming back out.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

3 sessions of ecentric leg curls this week, need to keep these up to accelerate the process of tendon strengthening. Up to 2 sets of hamstring curls now, and found a way to use the railed bench press to do thigh raises mimicing the high knee drive used in forefoot striking. Feeling it in the Iliopsoas/Sartorius area, core in tight and spine in neutral all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    3 sessions of ecentric leg curls this week, need to keep these up to accelerate the process of tendon strengthening. Up to 2 sets of hamstring curls now, and found a way to use the railed bench press to do thigh raises mimicing the high knee drive used in forefoot striking. Feeling it in the Iliopsoas/Sartorius area, core in tight and spine in neutral all the time.
    Got absolutely no idea what you just said but sounds like your getting stronger?!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Got absolutely no idea what you just said but sounds like your getting stronger?!
    Ecentric lifts or movements are where you contract the muscle under no load and extend it under load. For example i don't lift the weight on the leg curl, i raise the bar by hand and lower the weight gently with my leg. It's meant to promote tendon repair, especially at the ends where collagen attatches it to something. The weight is very light and you don't feel anything happening, you just have to trust it is working!

Banned
    All the best Mr B.
    Keep up the steady work and don't forget the stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    All the best Mr B.
    Keep up the steady work and don't forget the stretching.
    Stretching every day mate, every day for the last 4yrs or so!

Third run, Capplestone Gate (Bycliffe) 5.3m 1190', all runnable apart from the yomp up to the Dib cairn.

routemap2.jpg

routeprofile2.jpg

Seem to be running better every week, felt like i had a spare lung today compared with previous weeks. Sticking with the power walk warm ups and frequent rests though didn't drop to a walk until Bycliffe Gate when the trail flattened out, that's 500' without stopping. Persisting with the forefoot strike which is getting easier to execute, especially going uphill, i can get a nice calf bounce going without any sense of jolting which is what i want out of it. Picked up a right turn of speed coming off the trig, don't feel totally safe forefoot striking under those circumstances, there's a big ankle injury risk and you'd never save it like you could if you went over on your heel.

Oh yeah, Talons letting me down monumentally descending from the Dib cairn! A Walsh just doesn't have to fight for bite.

Been having some interesting foot aches and pains since trying forefoot striking, mostly around the base of the 4th and 5th Metatarsels. I can see how people get injured by thinking you can just go out and run barefoot, stress fractures must be fairly common in those not observing Wolff's Law.

Ran the Stirton race last night, 5.5m/1200', walked the uphill and ran the downhill.

Still managing 2 ecentric loading sessions a week dispite an increase in Quads Tendon soreness, might have to drop to flatter runs.