Page 3 of 131 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

5th run, Timble Loop 6m/600' all runnable

routemap3.jpg

This route visits both a pub and a cafe; the Timble Inn where i had a nice Hetton Pale Ale and the Washburn Heritage Centre who do good cake.

Decided to drop to flatter routes for a bit, hills are giving me problems so i'm going to back off for a few weeks. Last time i did the Timble Loop it was winter, the packhorse track between Timble and Low Snowden was really badly overgrown today. It's probably not being used by walkers that much since the bridge got washed away a couple of years ago. I hope i don't end up plateauing on flattish runs and end up buggered every time i try and go uphill, i don't know many flat runs. Saw a specimen Chub in a large pool on the Washburn, it was pushing 18" in length and had a good thickness accross the back; so much so it looked like a Mirror Carp at first. It must have come up from the Wharfe at Pool. Izaak Walton described the Chub as the fearfullest of fishes, one this big would be very difficult to catch.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

This route visits both a pub and a cafe
    Now that's my kind of training!
    Do what you like, like what you do

Super Moderator
    Have you got a copy of Peter Stone's Fishing for Big Chub Mr b? The classic read for anyone interested in pursuing Squalius cephalus in stillwater. Worth getting hold of a copy for the splendid cover photo alone

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    Now that's my kind of training!
    Standby for the 'Littondale booze cruise' when i'm up on miles a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Have you got a copy of Peter Stone's Fishing for Big Chub Mr b? The classic read for anyone interested in pursuing Squalius cephalus in stillwater. Worth getting hold of a copy for the splendid cover photo alone
    No mate, i haven't. I don't really read fishing books much, and find their content only really relates to fisheries because the fish are more wary in fisheries and more difficult to catch. I much prefer a haphazard, feral style of fishing involving localities and waters rarely seen let alone fished, you find the fish don't need to be tricked and will take any well presented bait/lure. I think this may be the case with my Chub, a fish that big must have run up as a youngster and found itself isolated in a trout pool with plenty to eat.

The comeback's hit trouble, it seems running is bringing back the Tendonitis in my quads tendon so it's back to cycling, but cycling aggravates the back of my kneecaps so i might end up switching back and forth. The loading on the knee tendons is approximately 2x bodyweight when running, but when you're cycling i reckon it doesn't go above 0.95.

Change of taping techniques too; using a Tendonitis kneecap loop with K-Tape, and a Patella Tendon wrap and lift with Leukotape strapping. I've got to keep it up...if i stop i'll lose the biochemical signals for repair and probably be worse off, changing taping and activities accordingly is the best way forward unless i want to go back to the hospital- which i don't.

Todays ride- Storiths-Appletreewick-Burnsall-Linton-Grassington-Hebden-Fancarl top-Skyreholme-Storiths. 21m/2450'

Pint of craft Pale Ale at the Fountaine Inn, Linton, straight on top of a light breakfast so i felt a bit tipsy going through Grassington. Decided to take on Fancarl top at the last minute as i felt ok, it has always been a personal goal to ride it all the way on a 39/24 and i felt great for it. Even if i hurt tommorrow it will have been worth it to achieve this milestone. I was down on the drop all the way up to try and get my glutes working as hard as possible with minimal quad recruitment.

Quite enjoyed descending the New Road on a road bike rather than the MTB, it was nice not to be deaf from tyre roar. My bike handling skills are sketchy on a road bike, i get bar wobble and find it a challenge to stop the back wheel locking up under hard braking. The New Road has numerous gravelly/sandy bits from water running off farm tracks so going hard on the front brake is risky; of course none of this matters on the MTB.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 29-07-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Calf raise and hamstring curl session in the gym before work today. I need to keep as many running muscles working as possible now that i'm relegated to the bike.

Bike to and from work today, 8m each way. Interesting to see the symptoms switching from soreness in the tendon to popping and clicking under the kneecap...robbing peter to pay paul. Chose to hit a moderate pace and not just take it easy, my knee clicks less this way. Physio told me ages ago that your muscle recruitment is worse when you exercise in a lazy fashion. Knee looks nice and fat now, i've taken to sleeping with a compressing neoprene knee support on to tackle this.

Todays ride- Storiths-Appletreewick-Burnsall-Linton-Grassington-Hebden-Fancarl top-Skyreholme-Storiths. 21m/2450'

The climb up from Dibble's Bridge, which was built by the devil apparently, seemed tougher this week; but if i can do it one week i can do it every week. If i can keep it up it'll be a good indicator of fitness increase, as at the moment it's a grind all the way. Pint of Pennine Gold pale ale at Linton, nearly upgraded to a full sunday roast on walking in and smelling the aroma coming from the kitchen. Nearly got lynched by some locals for slagging off John Smith's Extra Tacky, wished i'd have had Yelsew with me to slash their tyres. Going to try for another ride to work this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Physio told me ages ago that your muscle recruitment is worse when you exercise in a lazy fashion. .
    Interesting that!

Good comeback this lad!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

You got a picture of your knee taping, I'm having massive trouble keeping the Leuk/support tape stuck to my knee for the duration of the run.
    Surely this is the last hill, right...