Page 39 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Quite an impressive hill reps session for a bloke with a sore hip and a bad back!

How long are you taking for these reps? I used to sometimes do hill reps with the same amount of climbing but over a longer distance (just over 500 metres), although I never did more than six in a session. I took 2m30 - 2m40 for these (fastest ever was 2m21s). That was a long time ago, and I found them very tough then; I can't imagine doing them again now.
    I should make it clear that i am walking these, not running. I don't time myself, i just try to get up and down without any problems. The nature of my hip problem is suspected joint capsule irritation, not anything internal to the joint. The use of muscle groups over the capsule immediately start problems of some degree eg. running, ab crunches, pilates. Cycling doesn't use the muscle group in question so has no effect on the hip whatsoever, but screws my back up instead. It's merely a waiting game, an exact precise diagnosis has eluded even the best hip experts in Stepping Hill Hospital, it's more a case of what we know it isn't. Whatever it is, it's connective tissue, and as we all know problems of that nature can take years.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned
    Very good effort Luke.
    Glad your getting out a little.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I should make it clear that i am walking these, not running. I don't time myself, i just try to get up and down without any problems. The nature of my hip problem is suspected joint capsule irritation, not anything internal to the joint. The use of muscle groups over the capsule immediately start problems of some degree eg. running, ab crunches, pilates. Cycling doesn't use the muscle group in question so has no effect on the hip whatsoever, but screws my back up instead. It's merely a waiting game, an exact precise diagnosis has eluded even the best hip experts in Stepping Hill Hospital, it's more a case of what we know it isn't. Whatever it is, it's connective tissue, and as we all know problems of that nature can take years.
    Hope you get the hip sorted soon; glad you can at least walk up and down hills.

Any idea what's causing the back problems when cycling? Presumably you have tried adjusting handlebar and saddle positions to see if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Any idea what's causing the back problems when cycling?
    Bulging disc compartments pressing on spinal cord.

9 reps up Elbolton Hill today, 2250' total. Added in some short sections of running up to the very steep bit, less than 0.5m total- could turn out to be a costly error, i feel sore.

Total rest last weekend, not good. Short and fast 10m bike ride on friday to see how my back held up, seems to be ok. Back on Elbolton Hill again today, felt so depressed first thing; started planning my own death again, but it seemed to pass. Hit the big milestone of 3000' today, 12 reps 0.2m/250' per rep. Had several periods of quiet reflection under a conker tree in Thorpe in between, got some effective work done. The high point of the day was the intense smell of wildflowers in the spring i get my water from, would sell for thousands bottled.

Good work Mr Brightside... 3000ft is not to be sniffed at...

Banned
    Aye, your going better than me Luke.

Keep up to your reading and the training will help.

All the best mate.

12 reps up Elbolton Hill this aft, 3000' total, 12 x 250' in 3 sets of 4. It would have been 2000' due to a badly timed bonk, but on the way out of Thorpe i found a Nature Valley bar that had been dropped by a cyclist. It had 198kcal which looked to be good to make 3000' so i scoffed it and headed back to the hill. The Lord giveth and The Lord taketh away.

11m fast ride on friday, i'm picking the cycling back up now my back is in better shape.

Physio on tuesday, one last crack at a diagnosis on the hip problem before i place it in the hands of a higher power, and try and detatch myself as much as i can from the outcome, whatever that may be. There have been some new observations come to light; i think there are two problems, one of which has now disappeared.

Couple of 17m hill rides last weekend. Really sore hip from yesterday's trip to the physio, we're no further forward, still a question over whether it's a hernia or not. Got an acupuncture session booked for thursday, eastern origin technique.