Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by John Peel View Post
    You got a picture of your knee taping, I'm having massive trouble keeping the Leuk/support tape stuck to my knee for the duration of the run.
    Can you describe your taping scheme? Don't use mine if you've been given something different, it'll alter your patella tracking for the worse. If i can see what you're using i can advise you on how to make it work better if i've used it myself.

This stuff is a dressing retention spray, it's like spray on glue...

One of the key points is that your skin has to be grease free before any tape goes near it. You can use surgical spirit or Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) wipes if you have very greasy skin. IPA is a circuit board cleaner used in factories, i use it at work if i need to clean a cut and stick a plaster on. Likewise wash your hands before handling the tapes; neither will stick to your skin or eachother too well if the adhesive is contaminated. Remember aswell that the luekotape can be pulled up off the fixomull and retensioned a few times as long as you don't contaminate the adhesive or the top of the fixomull.

I've got Comfrey Oil all over my knees at the moment but i can post some pics next time i do some taping.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Interesting that!

Good comeback this lad!
    To be fair someone with good recruitment will probably be ok, but i don't have that!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Can you describe your taping scheme? Don't use mine if you've been given something different, it'll alter your patella tracking for the worse. If i can see what you're using i can advise you on how to make it work better if i've used it myself.

This stuff is a dressing retention spray, it's like spray on glue...

One of the key points is that your skin has to be grease free before any tape goes near it. You can use surgical spirit or Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) wipes if you have very greasy skin. IPA is a circuit board cleaner used in factories, i use it at work if i need to clean a cut and stick a plaster on. Likewise wash your hands before handling the tapes; neither will stick to your skin or eachother too well if the adhesive is contaminated. Remember aswell that the luekotape can be pulled up off the fixomull and retensioned a few times as long as you don't contaminate the adhesive or the top of the fixomull.

I've got Comfrey Oil all over my knees at the moment but i can post some pics next time i do some taping.
    Well I've got to say that some of that should be pure common sense and yet it is probably the exact reasons my taping is not staying on my knee. I've got some muscle imbalance causing maltracking in both knees so I'm long-term correcting this. My tape pulls my knee cap inwards and down so that on the leg bend the tracking is straight. I wanted to see a picture more to see what you were doing to keep the tape on. I think wash and dry my knees fully and the most important bit is to not contaminate the tape, especially the top tape. I think I've learned that I only need a short strip of both tapes, too long onto the sides of the knee and there's extra movement that when running will slowly ease it off, but then maybe I didn't have it sticking well enough in the first place.

Spray on glue would definitely be a good thing. Will try the other tips first. Cheers.
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

6th run, Arncliffe Gala fell race 1.9m/459'

Weather forced this run really, i'd have preferred to have ridden on sunday but the weather forecast is crap. Short course so ran fairly briskly after an easy start, actually felt quite good with no knee complaints although i was struggling aerobically.

Took a couple of photos of my taping setup...

The K tape is to support the tendon and the Luekotape that goes on after is to control kneecap movement. The big loop lifts the kneecap up, i was told that getting lift like this is key; the small half width strips press on the patella tendon and tilt the kneecap. You can see the lift i've got because my knee skin is shrivelled up like an old prune.

Another thing i forgot to mention, John, is that you have to shave your leg to get the tape to stick properly.

Bike to work yesterday, 2 legs of 8m. Tried to keep up with some professional cycle to workers on Kirkstall road, the drafting was going well until the gradient kicked by Lowe Engineering and they dropped me like a bad habit. Good hard ride with not too many side effects. Still in the gym most mornings too.

Haha my legs are blessed with dark hair so my shaved knees make for some great comedy. That is quite a tape setup you've got there. At the moment I'm going for less tape so the movement of the knee doesn't slowly slowly pull it away from the skin and less tension for the same reason. My next step if that wasn't working or if I had to have more tension was something similar to yours, taping further round and up.

You find it stays on for the duration of your runs? Or you getting the spray glue on there as well?
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

I use the Tensospray only in extreme cases as it gives me skin irritation. You've got to use Luekotape though, cheaper alternatives will always let you down. It recently changed its name i think but it's the same stuff. Careful with changing taping setup, get some physio advice if it's radically different.

7th run, Conistone Old Pasture 5.5m/750' all runnable.

routemap4.jpg

routeprofile4.jpg

One of those days where the weather is so changable you can't wear the right clothes. I'd have been too soggy in a baselayer and a vest, and too hot in a vest and a cag, so i went for just a vest and got wet. The wind blew in a series of very sharp showers, one of them hit me as i was making my way from the Dib cairn to the Dales Way, and another as i was going over the Medieval field systems on Lea Green. Kept a swift pace to stay warm, which is difficult when water is running off your face and arms and cooling you down fast. Ran past a pair of ramblers cowering from the onslaught in a big Gryke. My finger dexterity was greatly deminished at the end, my arms having been exposed to heat loss for some time. If anything it was a demonstration of how hypothermia can get people in the middle of summer under the right conditions, you wouldn't want to be stationary for too long. Saw lots of cows, i've taken to mooing at them from a distance to see if it has any effect on their levels of concern.

Thought i'd add a list of things that work and don't work...as i see it.

WORKS- Comfrey oil, strapping with tape, NSAI, Mega Cissus, Kinesiology Taping, night time warmth, patience, jumper's knee straps, rest, RICE.

DOESN'T WORK- Aggressive heating, magnetic wrist band, Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, overuse, any physiotherapy exercise.

NOT SURE- TENS, Interfrential, Ultrasound, friction massage, Aspirin, Rosehip, Ginger, the healing power of the mind.

Dear God, wish I'd never seen those leg photos.

Someone pass the mind bleach.
    pies