Page 5 of 131 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: mr b's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Dear God, wish I'd never seen those leg photos.

Someone pass the mind bleach.
    That's what self abuse in aeroplane toilets does for you.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

pies

Bike to work yesterday, 8m each way. Got onto the big ring on the way down to Kirky Road, aren't i brave.

8th run, Bare House and Gill House 6m/850', all runnable.

routemap5.jpg

routeprofile5.jpg

Lovely rolling hills out back of Grassington. Bare House is worth a visit, the range is still in situ in the old kitchen and it makes you think of what it would take to renovate the joint and live there. Gill House is more or less a ruin, but some of the stonework is nicely carved...

Ran down the dry gill to some old levels to get some water, loads of rabbits, then a precarious traverse along the side of a deep hush to pick up a shooter's trod on the moor. Was in full flight coming back down Kimpergill and nearly trod on a baby Hedgehog, see 'Today's wildlife encounter' thread for details.

I didn't want to say this, but after a shaky start nearly 4 months ago i'm starting to wonder if this comeback might bear fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    8th run, Bare House and Gill House 6m/850', all runnable.

routemap5.jpg

routeprofile5.jpg

Lovely rolling hills out back of Grassington. Bare House is worth a visit, the range is still in situ in the old kitchen and it makes you think of what it would take to renovate the joint and live there. Gill House is more or less a ruin, but some of the stonework is nicely carved...

Ran down the dry gill to some old levels to get some water, loads of rabbits, then a precarious traverse along the side of a deep hush to pick up a shooter's trod on the moor. Was in full flight coming back down Kimpergill and nearly trod on a baby Hedgehog, see 'Today's wildlife encounter' thread for details.

I didn't want to say this, but after a shaky start nearly 4 months ago i'm starting to wonder if this comeback might bear fruit.
    Seems like you're going ok

Ssshhhhhhhhh!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Seems like you're going ok

Ssshhhhhhhhh!
    Yeah, keep my voice down! It's amazing week on week how much pain i don't have in my knee thanks to a professional gait analysis revealing my unstable hip. Getting the recruitment active in the Glutes Medius has halved the problem or therabouts; more gains could probably be brought about by drilling the exercises day on day, but i'd like to see where i settle to once i get back to full competetive fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Been having some interesting foot aches and pains since trying forefoot striking, mostly around the base of the 4th and 5th Metatarsels. I can see how people get injured by thinking you can just go out and run barefoot, stress fractures must be fairly common in those not observing Wolff's Law.
    oh yes, dont I know 8 weeks in

sounds like your coming along nicely though, good stuff

Todays ride- Storiths-Appletreewick-Burnsall-Linton-Grassington-Hebden-Fancarl top-Skyreholme-Storiths. 21m/2450'

Cocked up last week, went for a walk on bank holiday monday right after a run on sunday and it hasn't done me any good. Bike ride this week to try and get back on terms, usual beer stop in Linton. Felt like i was towing my bag out going up to Fancarl Crag. Right knee a bit sore but can't nail it down to being under the kneecap or in the tendon, could do with knowing this as it will dictate treatment.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 14-09-2014 at 05:06 PM.

2 weeks of pretty much nothing after a spike in problems, but you've got to learn to take it like a man and figure out how to move forward, not keep going through it. Change of tactics include not taping anywhere to see what effect this has, and to move from steady 5-6m runs to shorter, steeper, harder routes run faster. I'm hoping that the increase in muscle recruitment that comes with brute force might change something about how i move, if i see a decrease in patella soreness it's working but i'd expect some tendon strain pain too. The best laid plans of mice and men.

Todays run, Stebden Hill 3.2m/780' from Linton.

routeprofile6.jpg

routemap6.jpg

Classic short route this, it looks easier on a map than it is. The run up to the hill is an energy sapping bog and undergrowth bash with trods here and there, but no clear route. The hill quickly slows you to a walk and if you drop off it straight from the summit you end up hampered by crags and rabbit holes and contouring to hit the little gill in the right place. I should have come off the col, don't know why i ignored my own local knowledge really.

Managed to avoid another John Smith's related faux-pas in the Fountaine Inn after. I'm switching to Wharfedale Blonde from now on, Bridestone's Pennine Gold doesn't have any sort of kick and i'm still mourning the loss of Fountaine Pale. Tomato and chilli soup, tasted better than it sounded.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 14-09-2014 at 05:10 PM.