Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile network for BG?

Nick Smith

Mobile network for BG?

Supporting a BG at the weekend, I noticed there was a huge variation between people who could get a mobile data signal and check the live trackers, and those who couldn't. My phone (PAYG O2) seemed particularly useless - I couldn't even load the tracker page in Keswick, let alone Threlkeld, or known problem spots like Wasdale & Honister!

A friend on EE seemed to have much more success, and another friend on Vodafone had a signal in Wasdale just a short distance back up the hill towards Scafell.

What about Honister? Where is the nearest place that actually gets a signal?

Yes O2 is rubbish with internet coverage, I can get a mobile signal but the 3G doesn't work at all even in Keswick as you mentioned . When I was on T-Mobile I could get signals at most of the places. From Honister if you climb up a little towards Grey Knotts you should get some reception. (not sure about o2 but definitely EE gets signal there)

_|_
    ./\.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    Yes O2 is rubbish with internet coverage, I can get a mobile signal but the 3G doesn't work at all even in Keswick as you mentioned . When I was on T-Mobile I could get signals at most of the places. From Honister if you climb up a little towards Grey Knotts you should get some reception. (not sure about o2 but definitely EE gets signal there)
    One of the benefits of James trackers when set to show the track points - (find the track you want, then append &buffer=true to the URL) - eg this for janson http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/bg201...=4&buffer=true
    Then click on a trackpoint for information. Green are areas of good connection, red areas where it can only store data until out of radio shadow. Yellow the twilight world in between ( I think..).

It shows with each tracking point not only the time, but also which network was used for connection, in the places it could get one. Shows that VODA also has some areas of good coverage too, but no one network kills it. O2 is noticeable by its absence! Don't know if the devices use the FIRST network they find with coverage, or the strongest network they can find in areas where several networks work. You would have to ask james about that.

BTW that is also useful for seeing what time the tracked people were where on the course, rather than when the connection was made to send the data!

On the other hand, Wheeze and I were looking at sat phones. Theres now a globalsat phone that should work more or less anywhere, already not very expensive, and the company have a mission to undercut smartphone call costs in the next couple of years. In the course of time tracker boxes that use Sat not only for positioning but also for communications too, will become the economic standard (I believe)
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 10-06-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Super Moderator
    O2 is indeed rubbish in Lakeland. Signal is hopeless in Keswick for starters!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    O2 is indeed rubbish in Lakeland. Signal is hopeless in Keswick for starters!
    I thought that, and agree on Keswick : But actually, I have been doing them a disservice. Look at Jansons BG plot, and O2 was the network of choice all the way from Scafell Pike to Steeple. Am very surprised!
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 10-06-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Banned
    Voda was the best of a bad bunch when I have been supporting.
    Even a signal in Wasdale on the bridge over the stream at the top of the NT car park.

You guys are reading a little too much in to our tracker service. Unfortunately they are not as sophisticated as I hope - we are continue to test different settings to try and make them a little more predictable, 3 of the BGers this weekend are taking an extra tracker with them so I can see if I can improve things.

The problem we have had with O2 in particular is that the tracker picks it up but it doesn't have a GPRS service so although you get a signal it doesn't move any data. We think it is has been the source of some our problems when trackers stop transmitting. We can prioritise the networks the tracker uses so I've stuck O2 at the bottom.

Generally for me vodafone is one of the best networks in the lakes. Since Orange / T-mobile have merged definately a close 2nd.. a few locations e.g. eskdale are only on Orange. End of Thirlmere just Vodafone, you can get vodafone at Mardale head if you stick your finger up your nose and stand on one leg.

Oh by the way - on no BG trackers have we ever picked up ANY signal at Honister. I know there is wifi there, kind of place that be cool to put a 2g femtocell so our trackers could update data.
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org

Surprised by O2 over the Scafells. I have a phone on voda and an ipad on 3. 3 is better for internet in most places Voda always seems to have a slow GPRS connection at least.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    One of the benefits of James trackers when set to show the track points - (find the track you want, then append &buffer=true to the URL) - eg this for janson http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/bg201...=4&buffer=true
    Then click on a trackpoint for information. Green are areas of good connection, red areas where it can only store data until out of radio shadow. Yellow the twilight world in between ( I think..).
    So we can't do this buffer thing to any of the tracks ? I was more interested in Nicky Spinks track but this doesn't seem to be working. I get 404 Not Found error message.

_|_
    ./\.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    So we can't do this buffer thing to any of the tracks ? I was more interested in Nicky Spinks track but this doesn't seem to be working. I get 404 Not Found error message.
    This works adnan

http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/spink...=1&buffer=true