Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trackers BG 13-15th June

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Interesting to see how they get on, I like those lines, although to take the shortest route the final part is a steep traverse climb, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Keep dry feet though
    A bit concerned how long it took to SH - it is an easy run down.

Now I see it , I think they were north east of the ideal line, climbing a little too much over ground that is rougher than you need, I suspect they had to descend to cross. A better line crosses the brook 300m or so west of there, and in doing a rising traverse is not as steep. it is quite a tough pull, using their reentrant as a handrail - they should be up or close by now - they are a little of corse to the top as well.
    I have a second tracker on these guys - the usual one not working quite as well as my alternative settings tracker http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/bg2014.cfm?n=20 they really are on a bit of a tour.
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by howfast View Post
    I have a second tracker on these guys - the usual one not working quite as well as my alternative settings tracker http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/bg2014.cfm?n=20 they really are on a bit of a tour.
    Been watching 20
    Don't think they got it right.
    They lost 5 mins going too far before turning from skid daw, another 5 in hitting blencathra too far west.
    If you look at their time to SH it was 20 mins, same as a normal time across the Caldewl, from which they have 800 m more distance but 50-60 m less climb on better ground if they get the line right. Ie similar time.

But they hit the worst of.both worlds from SH.. Either they should head for cloven and the normal line from there, or climb slower and faster on dry ground further west. The line they took is up and down, with peaty areas, then a drop before a tough climb up. I also think in the time you get to the Caldew on the usual route, you should get past SH, pretty much to the brook. so don't think they made the most of it .
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 13-06-2014 at 11:43 PM.

alwaysinjured
    Some odd goings on with nick ogdens tracker on steel fell - was that the tracker, or an unusual route issue? Update. Second tracker looks ok
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 14-06-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Some odd goings on with nick ogdens tracker on steel fell - was that the tracker, or an unusual route issue? Update. Second tracker looks ok
    Yep - been some poor GPS fixes on that tracker.. must be buried or its moving around in a rucksac. My magic is not so good at fixing that..
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org

I have just got back from supporting Geoff Cox on legs 1 and 2 and can confirm that it was most certainly a glitch on Jenkins Hill, navigation was absolutely exemplary throughout. Conditions were very good, a little bit of clag on Helvellyn, nothing more. Moon and stars out for a while too!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Nick Smith
    Really enjoying watching the trackers last night & today

Tom Gomersall was an hour up at Wasdale and Nick Ogden 35 mins up!

Bit worried that Tom's tracker didn't go up Fairfield, so hopefully it was left with a pacer at the bottom of the hill.

But hypothetically, say you accidentally missed out a summit and you still had time & energy left at the end - would it be a 'proper' BG if you drove around and did the missed ascent & descent still within 24 hrs? Seems to me it would be even harder than a normal sequential round, because you'd have some extra ascent from the nearest road?
    Last edited by Nick Smith; 14-06-2014 at 05:39 PM.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I have just got back from supporting Geoff Cox on legs 1 and 2 and can confirm that it was most certainly a glitch on Jenkins Hill, navigation was absolutely exemplary throughout. Conditions were very good, a little bit of clag on Helvellyn, nothing more. Moon and stars out for a while too!
    A real shame, Geoff seems to have jacked it in, going round Moses trod to honister. He seemed to be going so well.

A real shame, Geoff seems to have jacked it in, going round Moses trod to honister. He seemed to be going so well.
    Unless.....a pacer has inadvertently taken the tracker on the shortest route and Geoff is still on course.

Just a thought....

Be a bloody shame to have to jack half way through leg 4.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

alwaysinjured
    Meanwhile Stevie b is getting on manfully!
    http://steveb.opentracking.co.uk

Headed for brandreth, probably bumped into a bger or two.

Seems on schedule. Amazing - how do you get your head around such a thing?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...g%20splits.pdf
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 14-06-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
    Really enjoying watching the trackers last night & today

Tom Gomersall was an hour up at Wasdale and Nick Ogden 35 mins up!

Bit worried that Tom's tracker didn't go up Fairfield, so hopefully it was left with a pacer at the bottom of the hill.

But hypothetically, say you accidentally missed out a summit and you still had time & energy left at the end - would it be a 'proper' BG if you drove around and did the missed ascent & descent still within 24 hrs? Seems to me it would be even harder than a normal sequential round, because you'd have some extra ascent from the nearest road?

Tom's tracker was in the rucksack carried by the pacer who went straight on, but the other pacer says he went up Fairfield with Tom
    Kerry Gilchrist, Bingley Harriers

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford