Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trackers BG 13-15th June

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Tom's tracker was in the rucksack carried by the pacer who went straight on, but the other pacer says he went up Fairfield with Tom
    Phew!!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

According the the tracker, and assuming I've got his start time correct, Tom's just finished in about 19hrs 55 mins! Excellent!

Meanwhile Nick Ogden is on Hindscarth and looks to be motoring along. Go Nick, Go! :-)

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    According the the tracker, and assuming I've got his start time correct, Tom's just finished in about 19hrs 55 mins! Excellent!

Meanwhile Nick Ogden is on Hindscarth and looks to be motoring along. Go Nick, Go! :-)
    Going well.

Did anyone notice? Nick took the " long way" round the rim of the basin from the pikes, rather than downd and up langdale race fashion. Has anyone timed the difference? It Is a no brainer from high raise eg OCT but I assumed from the pikes shorter is better. Makes you wonder about the choice from langdale race from thunakar too.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Going well.

Did anyone notice? Nick took the " long way" round the rim of the basin from the pikes, rather than downd and up langdale race fashion. Has anyone timed the difference? It Is a no brainer from high raise eg OCT but I assumed from the pikes shorter is better. Makes you wonder about the choice from langdale race from thunakar too.
    Dark peak always go round too. Difference over climb at the slower pace I think is negligible, Depends whether you're better at climbing or not..

The DP philosophy on it is the run to Stakes pass is easy, the climb to Rossett is steady but you can take on lots of food on this section. Its much harder to eat on the short steep climb going direct.
    The target is to finish so fuelling up is key and there is enough climbing on the BG with adding to it.

Howfast
    Have any of the DPers got a tracker for next weekend?
    we've 9 going I believe but a single group tracker would be fun, 9 is overkill....

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Dark peak always go round too. Difference over climb at the slower pace I think is negligible, Depends whether you're better at climbing or not..

The DP philosophy on it is the run to Stakes pass is easy, the climb to Rossett is steady but you can take on lots of food on this section. Its much harder to eat on the short steep climb going direct.
    The target is to finish so fuelling up is key and there is enough climbing on the BG with adding to it.
    Thanks ian. Which begs a question - if the difference from pike o stickle is negligible , then on lang dale race starting further north from thunakar, surely must favour the long way round. Alhough I have never seen anyone ( but me) try it on race day, when I went the other side of the ridge not down it, and that path is rougher than you hope.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 14-06-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Howfast
    Have any of the DPers got a tracker for next weekend?
    we've 9 going I believe but a single group tracker would be fun, 9 is overkill....
    Max Woods / Simon Cartledge are the only people I have for next weekend. If want one (or 2) pop us an email with usual - address / ETA's and a promise to put it in the post on the Monday.
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org

Nick Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    I don't think there is much in it time-wise, having reccied it both ways. The long way around is about 600m longer but 60m less height gain and much more runnable as it is mostly on good paths, and only a bit of bog. There isn't a reliable water source though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
    I don't think there is much in it time-wise, having reccied it both ways. The long way around is about 600m longer but 60m less height gain and much more runnable as it is mostly on good paths, and only a bit of bog. There isn't a reliable water source though.
    I agree - nothing in it - but the long way round saves a leg mashing, which is best saved for later! Alsoo one of the few occasions on leg 3 where you can get a decent run!

There is a water stop just after Rossett Pike IIRC - just before the ramps by Hanging Knotts - tasted all right to me - it was still running well two weeks ago.

Nick Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by suth unjesi View Post
    There is a water stop just after Rossett Pike IIRC - just before the ramps by Hanging Knotts - tasted all right to me - it was still running well two weeks ago.
    I haven't found that one yet. I've filled up crossing the stream between Harrison Stickle & Pike of Stickle.

I'm also a fan of staying on the main path past Great End, and then back to the summit on a mostly rock-free route, rather than boulder-hopping on a direct line. Seems like there is nothing in it time-wise, it feels easier and you also cross a tiny stream on the path.