Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slmm

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Day 1 certainly looked if anything a bit shorter than Bowfell, though that was only a quick glance. Haven't seen the day 2 KLETS route, another bugbear is that they don't put the maps on their website!

Our day 1 route worked out at 18.5 miles and 2165m ascent - not sure where the planners figure of 1870m came from, as the planners route included over 300m more ascent than ours! Day 2 was 13 miles, 1674m ascent, which is roughly what the planner estimated (despite our route choices differing from theirs).
    I've just measured my KLETS route as: 26km (16miles) with 1800m ascent on day 1, and 20km (12.5miles) with 1500m ascent on day2.
    It depends on how accurately I've measured it course, but that's less climb than the planner's estimate - maybe the planner's route was higher level and less contouring. Shorter than the previous 3 years, but with slightly more climb (except compared to the big one from Langdale in 2011).
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Zoe and I did the Kirkfell. Our first Saunders, but we've done the RAB, Dark Mountains and GL3d before so I had an idea what to expect.

KF seemed tougher than I had expected based on discussing it with club mates beforehand. The second half of Day 1 was almost entirely left handed traversing which combined with the dry ground and the heat really did damage to a lot of folks' feet. The planners' route had even more traversing than we did - the section under Helvellyn looked particularly heinous and we opted to climb to the 850m contour and traverse higher where the ground was less steep and rough.

On the Sunday the route was a bit kinder and the overnight rain made the going a lot softer. As it warmed up though we could both feel ourselves running out of steam (more like trudging out of steam) on a direct climb from Ruthwaite to Deepdale Hause. Thankfully I'd recovered a little by Link Cove.

On both days I took route choices to favour my partner who's better on less technical terrain and although I thought we'd lose time it looks like we at least kept up. She won't let me carry anything though! How do other folks deal with it when one of the pair is going better than the other?

We liked the area and the camaraderie and I thought one or two of the legs offered interesting choices, but there were too many people for our taste, particularly on the mass start on Sunday when we were held up by maybe five minutes on the initial climb by much slower pairs. I guess the answer is to be fast enough to get into the chasing start! Happy enough with 21st overall, nicely in the top third.

Jim
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jtinnion View Post
    She won't let me carry anything though! How do other folks deal with it when one of the pair is going better than the other?
    If you find a solution then let me know, my partner's the same! She thinks it's cheating for one person to temporarily carry the other's sack, even though all the top runners do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtinnion View Post
    there were too many people for our taste, particularly on the mass start on Sunday when we were held up by maybe five minutes on the initial climb by much slower pairs. I guess the answer is to be fast enough to get into the chasing start!
    or do Bowfell instead - fewer teams so not so many people (except on shared controls). Queues at the start of day 2 are sometimes still a problem, if the first control is shared, but this year we were separate from everyone else.