Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trackers - BG 20-22nd Jun

Hi folks
    I finally surfaced after a long and tiring journey home, and am just catching up with everybody.
    To say that I have been blown away by the whole experience is an understatement. I am completely humbled at the generosity of spirit, time and goodwill that people (some formerly total strangers to me) have shown, and I only hope that I can express my gratitude here, and by reciprocating where able.
    My day went on rails. The weather was perfect, maps and foul gear were never necessary, and each and every one of my support and pitstop crew delivered way beyond my expectations. I was driven by a constant desire not to let any one of them down.
    The biggest lesson that I learned, was that the BG is an eating exercise- I thought I was okay at this, but went from 30 mins up at Dunmail to 20 mins down at Dale Head. I was very fortunate to have some extremely persuasive companions who rapidly diagnosed this and enabled me to recover my energy levels such that I could claw back some time and retrieve what was starting to look a bit shaky.
    I would just like to say a huge thank you to everyone involved, and to those who dispensed some great advice along the way. I will catch up on an individual basis.
    cheers
    max

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post

Exactly Ian....I thought,"How dare you look so bloody fresh!"

As for Max, having trained with him, I knew he was very able, but the weather looked a challenge. Then when I could see from his tracker that about 5 hours to get from Pillar-ish to Keswick, it was looking a bit uncomfortable.

Max, you played a blinder there mate

Mark and Ian, thanks for your wise words. We'll if there's to be a re-match.
    Hi Simon
    Thanks for the words.
    Commiserations on your attempt- but as others have said - do not be too harsh on yourself- there is an element of luck involved.
    You were the first BG contender I met, and I remember the mental comparison I made against you.
    Trust me you do have the fitness, strength and mindset to do this.
    When your bruises have healed, come back and have another go; the feeling of success is something you need to savour.
    best wishes
    max

Super Moderator
    'bout time you changed that awful log-on name Max
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Hope you're recovering well Max. More sports pies next time eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Hope you're recovering well Max. More sports pies next time eh?
    Fantastic when they are cold, but when they have been tossed around the bottom of a bumbag in the heat for a few hours and the grease starts oozing out, then the attraction is lost for the duration! Seemed like a good idea, and I never experienced any heat throughout my training!
    Had my first (cold) one again yesterday- lovely.

I've a mate who swears by sports Eccles Cakes

Sure glad I did leg two - great sunrise and perfect temperatures Enjoy the RnR and onwards to the next challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    'bout time you changed that awful log-on name Max
    Oi - with my knock knees, chicken legs, mincing gait and penchant for shandy it suits me fine!
    Besides I fail the test:-

http://usvsth3m.com/post/66362259535/the-north-o-meter