Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Round success

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Might be worth them letting Martin Stone know - he's keeping a list of those who've done all three of the big rounds.
    Thanks Bob, I'll pass that on to Lee & Jules.

Thanks for this Geoff and the congrats all!

We started at 11:15 am and went clockwise starting up the Ben so finished on the Mamores. Weather conditions were pretty benign with good temps for running (approx 7 degrees at 1000m) and light winds. Plenty of low cloud and poor vis around but nothing caused significant problems. Had some light rain in the cloud but with little wind this didn't affect us very much.

Lee had put together a 23:45 schedule and we had a good run up the Ben, Aonach Mor and Beag, the Grey Corries, Stob Coire Easain (what a nightmare that is!) and were forty minutes up at Fersit. Very grateful to Neil and Masa for meeting us on this first section with water and a bit of food so limiting what we had to carry. Neil organised both stops for us and did a superb job. Zoe ran with us from Fersit to Loch Eilde Mor and we gained another twenty minutes on that section. Zoe was proper strong throughout the leg and did a superb job spotting the trod in the dark and keeping things moving on the way to Loch Eilde Mor. Geoff and Howard ran the final Mamores leg with us carrying half of our food and some additional water. Both did a fantastic job of keeping things on track and it was a pleasure to run the last leg with you fellas.

We weren't after a fast round as didn't know the route well really but in the end it was nice to have that cushion and pleased to come in under 23 hours. It was all a bit last minute for me particularly and I optimistically expected to find the Ramsay easier than the Paddy Buckley. In fact we both thought at the end that the Ramsay was harder. Part of this is to do with the conditions underfoot. Apart from the run off Stob a Choire Mheadhion to Fersit and the track from near Corrour Station to Loch Eilde Mor everything else is rough underfoot with awkward rock, heather or a mixture of both. There's plenty of steep climbs too and by the end we both had fairly significant blister/skin damage. I carried something that felt like a proper injury round the last half but not serious enough to stop us.

The route is fantastic and we had a superb day out in the mountains. Twenty four brilliant Munros and some stunning views in the periods when the cloud lifted.

Will be contacting Charlie Ramsay and Martin Stone this week. As is traditional with these big rounds it's Thursday and I'm still tired and starving hungry!

Good luck to anyone else who's going through the summer.

Jules.
    Last edited by Jules B; 26-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules B View Post
    Thanks for this Geoff and the congrats all!

We started at 11:15 am and went clockwise starting up the Ben so finished on the Mamores. Weather conditions were pretty benign with good temps for running (approx 7 degrees at 1000m) and light winds. Plenty of low cloud and poor vis around but nothing caused significant problems. Had some light rain in the cloud but with little wind this didn't affect us very much.

Lee had put together a 23:45 schedule and we had a good run up the Ben, Aonach Mor and Beag, the Grey Corries, Stob Coire Easain (what a nightmare that is!) and were forty minutes up at Fersit. Very grateful to Neil and Masa for meeting us on this first section with water and a bit of food so limiting what we had to carry. Neil organised both stops for us and did a superb job. Zoe ran with us from Fersit to Loch Eilde Mor and we gained another twenty minutes on that section. Zoe was proper strong throughout the leg and did a superb job spotting the trod in the dark and keeping things moving on the way to Loch Eilde Mor. Geoff and Howard ran the final Mamores leg with us carrying half of our food and some additional water. Both did a fantastic job of keeping things on track and it was a pleasure to run the last leg with you fellas.

We weren't after a fast round as didn't know the route well really but in the end it was nice to have that cushion and pleased to come in under 23 hours. It was all a bit last minute for me particularly and I optimistically expected to find the Ramsay easier than the Paddy Buckley. In fact we both thought at the end that the Ramsay was harder. Part of this is to do with the conditions underfoot. Apart from the run off Stob a Choire Mheadhion to Fersit and the track from near Corrour Station to Loch Eilde Mor everything else is rough underfoot with awkward rock, heather or a mixture of both. There's plenty of steep climbs too and by the end we both had fairly significant blister/skin damage. I carried something that felt like a proper injury round the last half but not serious enough to stop us.

The route is fantastic and we had a superb day out in the mountains. Twenty four brilliant Munros and some stunning views in the periods when the cloud lifted.

Will be contacting Charlie Ramsay and Martin Stone this week. As is traditional with these big rounds it's Thursday and I'm still tired and starving hungry!

Good luck to anyone else who's going through the summer.

Jules.
    Slightly annoyingly it is now 23 Munros. An lubair having been demoted.
    Well done on your round though. As you say it is tough ground, long climbs are tough too.
    Lancslad

Thanks Alan!

Well done both of you!! It's a hard round with support let alone partly supported.

Have you let Charlie Ramsay know? His email is [email protected] and he is always very happy to learn of successful completions!

Nice to see some successful Ramsays. Well done both.

Is it possible to borrow your schedule please, Jules ?

I am planning mines in August. So far, I have one definite and very few maybees for the support. I don't have enough knowledge of the route. Only been on the route once in April and have reccied the Grey Corries to Fersit, the east tops on the Loch Treig to Corrour and first 2 Mamores CW.

I hope I get few more volunteers to help, specially who can meet on the route with food and drink and for the night section. I can possibly do the first section to Fersit by myself, and will have one support on the Mamores section. Only problem will be night section as I have a Nyctophobia and I will be scared to death crossing that stream to go up Beinn na Lap in dark.

_|_
    ./\.

adnan I am doing the whw by bike(possibly out and back) in august let me know what weekend your planning
    can anyone shed any light on conditions around loch Lomond and what the record is for this challenge
    congrats to you both on completion
    Last edited by vespa; 27-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Well done both of you!! It's a hard round with support let alone partly supported.

Have you let Charlie Ramsay know? His email is [email protected] and he is always very happy to learn of successful completions!
    Congratulations to you too Nicky! Thanks for Charlie's email address - I'll get in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    adnan I am doing the whw by bike(possibly out and back) in august let me know what weekend your planning
    can anyone shed any light on conditions around loch Lomond and what the record is for this challenge
    congrats to you both on completion
    No idea on the record. But it is pretty rough beyond Inversnaid, some parts will be a struggle to haul the bike through, and you will need to carry / push quite a lot of it. I have only ever run it, but when I did I thought about how tough it would be to get a bike through some of them parts.

Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    Planning on my birthday weekend (9/10 of august).

_|_
    ./\.