Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieW View Post
    alwaysinjured -- I was just going to start poring over the maps and came back to this. On the route up to Bessyboot, the acceptance letter says "The route to Bessy Boot will be via Stonethwaite, through Chapel Farm and up Rottenstone Gill", so while there is no checkpoint, the instruction seems to be to go up at least towards Tarn at Leaves.

The first mile sounds a bit scary. I might be tempted to peg it a bit to stay out of trouble near the front for that, before easing back and waving goodbye to the leaders when we start climbing...

I'm a bit torn footwear-wise between my trusted older-style XTalon-212s (studs a little worn but not bad), or my pristine X-Talon 190s (perfect studs, lighter for better race speed, but maybe too thin on the rocks). Any views anyone?
    The start can bottle neck after the bridge you can lose a minute or 2 there gonna wear Salomon speed cross more cushioning than the talons raced in the talons twice now gr8 for shorter races .have a good UN

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound on your trail View Post
    The start can bottle neck after the bridge you can lose a minute or 2 there gonna wear Salomon speed cross more cushioning than the talons raced in the talons twice now gr8 for shorter races .have a good UN
    Thanks! And I noticed the OS map showed a footbridge just south of the hotel (maybe in its garden) as well as the small road bridge just north leading to "Hazel Bank (Hotel)" -- I'm assuming the race goes over the road bridge, not the footbridge? Would be a ridiculous instant bottleneck otherwise. Sounds like it is worth sprinting a bit off the start, though presumably _everyone_ does that!

.........sounds like it is worth sprinting a bit off the start, though presumably _everyone_ does that!
    Yep
    See the light in the night

Thanks! And I noticed the OS map showed a footbridge just south of the hotel (maybe in its garden) as well as the small road bridge just north leading to "Hazel Bank (Hotel)" -- I'm assuming the race goes over the road bridge, not the footbridge? Would be a ridiculous instant bottleneck otherwise. Sounds like it is worth sprinting a bit off the start, though presumably _everyone_ does that!
    Gonna give the first mile a good go myself,I suppose it's like all races fast and frantic at the start but I think you need a quick start here .4hrs and under should be on considering your marathon time just don't get lost if the weather's bad.it's a gr8 day on out on the fells racing with some of the uk s finest fell runners

in case anyone was considering the footbridge it might be useful to know that it was washed away about 40 years ago.
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    I have often wondered has anyone reccied a more direct route up to bessy boot heading south say 400m after leaving the road rather than more or less following the bank of combe gill before kicking up towards tarn at leaves, which is longer? Or is that path just permissive until you get to combe gill, so have to stay on route, are their walls that prevent you doing it?
    Its much steeper, rougher and there's at least one wall to climb so probably no quicker.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Gonna stick with the bottle neck route and get wet feet

Just wondering on behalf of a club mate, if anyone knows of a race entry going? Thanks in advance.
    Andy McMurdo
    Pennine Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc View Post
    Just wondering on behalf of a club mate, if anyone knows of a race entry going? Thanks in advance.
    I have an entry pm me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Toenails View Post
    I have an entry pm me for details

Sent you a PM hopefully the place is still available
    Andy McMurdo
    Pennine Fell Runners