Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluetrail Ultra, Tenerife

Bluetrail Ultra, Tenerife

Has anyone done this in the past (or is intending to do it this October)?
    Booked my accommodation & flights and about to enter online. Did some trail running from the Arona region last week and thought I'd give this a whirl in October (although not the 101K route). Be interested in some feedback if anyone has had a crack at it before......

Hi Ady, how's it going for this did you learn anything about this one (beyond website info)? Interested in this one for 2015 or another year. I've been up to the high plateau of Teide NP in Tenerife before and its a strange and captivating place. And the idea of running across the island, predominantly to reach one very high point and then descend back to sea-level sounds like it could be a really gratifying and somewhat different to most multi-peak challenge ultra's.

Thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone has any experience of this race?

I've been looking at it as a potential trip for next June.

61 miles and 21000ft for the long race, so a bit of a step up from the 10 Peaks stats-wise (45 miles and 18000ft).

But suspect the fact that the majority of the climb is all in the first half, up to mount Teide, then a constant descent back down to sea level, coupled with the heat and sun, would make this a very tough proposition. The final 4800ft or so of climb being concentrated in a mere 10km according to the route profile...!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone has any experience of this race?

I've been looking at it as a potential trip for next June.

61 miles and 21000ft for the long race, so a bit of a step up from the 10 Peaks stats-wise (45 miles and 18000ft).

But suspect the fact that the majority of the climb is all in the first half, up to mount Teide, then a constant descent back down to sea level, coupled with the heat and sun, would make this a very tough proposition. The final 4800ft or so of climb being concentrated in a mere 10km according to the route profile...!
    it's the "coupled with the heat and sun" bit that would make me wary.

Having ran/cycled/been up mountains in the Canaries before, I'm pretty well aware of the heat and sun, and whilst a concern, it wouldn't necessarily be a showstopper for me.

I think of slightly more concern is the altitude... 3550m is the highest point on the race. There's only 15km or so which is above 2500m, so perhaps 2-3 hours, but that's climbing steeply and then a hectic descent, I wonder if this distance/height/time-span is enough for the altitude to become a big factor...?

I must admit that having mulled this one over at the weekend I'm very keen...

In a fit of unbridled passion/optimism/stupidity, I've entered this for June 2019.

Certainly capable of managing the distance and climb. But the additional factors of a midnight start, heat, sun, altitude, make this look like a fantastic challenge.

Looking to turn it into a bit of a holiday as well and spend some time exploring the beautiful north of the island.

Looks a serious beast...good luck!

Practical tip: my experience of the logistics of Canary Island ultras has led me to the discovery that it's worth looking at different budget airlines for flights. Typically they arrange their pricing structure so that you can pick up one cheap flight but are forced to pay more for the other one. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can get a cheapie outbound flight with one airline and a cheapie return flight with a different one. You might know that anyway, but I didn't and was delighted to save over £100!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Thanks for the advice Tussockface... but yes I'm fairly familiar with the intricacies of various travel plans!

In fact on this occasion a scheduled flight with BA is looking the best value in terms of flying times, flexibility and price.

That's another good tip: don't overlook the obvious carrier!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Booked up accommodation now... staying in Puerto de la Cruz which is the finish of the race, and looks the nicest (of a pretty bad bunch) of resorts on the island, and a great base to explore the beautiful looking north of the island.

Heading out on the Tuesday, race starts around midnight on the Friday night, then stopping over until the Wednesday.

Have had various helpful offers of advice regarding acclimatising and altitude.... ranging from fellrunner advice "you're fit enough, just turn up and you'll be up and down out of the altitude before it effects you.... right up to advice from a clubmate and University Sports Science lecturer, and a fairly serious xc/roadrunner "go out two weeks before and fully acclimatise to altitude, oh and by the way can you get hold of an Oxygen Tent...!"

Think the approach of winging it is more appealing, although all being well i'll have done some hefty long runs in the build-up.

Currently trying not to worry about the prospect of doing the Welsh 1000m the week before, and already being booked on the Lakes 5 Passes Ultra the week after.