Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fell shoes

If the ground is reasonably dry - roclite 315 (or recent equivalent) all the way round. Decent cushioning and reasonable grip. Not the best on greasy mud tho.
    Otherwise mudclaws - but do not expect to get more than a couple of months out of a pair. As soon as you start boulder hopping on them, the studs disintegrate very quickly. Very little protection on the instep - this is where I picked up bruising.
    A good fit is very important - if your feet slide around inside the shoe, then the insoles are more prone to moving, your toes get pushed hard into the front of the shoe in a decent, and there is poor lateral stability if coming down sideways (jessie style).

I have also found that the shoes stretch when wet - this means either starting a short race with tight laces, or stopping to adjust en route. I prefer to run with wet feet - far less friction and blisters.

Great advice as always from you guys. The salmons have now been demoted to wearing down the pub! Looks like my bank balance is going to take a hit with the new shoes I'm going to buy haha. Thanks again and if anyone is up for a recce of legs 3/4 in September let me know. Cheers.phil

On the BGR you're on stony paths for much of the route - hardly the territory Mud Claws are best suited for. I'd go for a more padded trail shoe to protect your feet like the Roclite. The Speedcross 3's I've used have had a real problem with rucking of the insole on steep wet descents, as you've experienced. The 2's were much better in this respect. I'm using the Fellcross (and hear good things from users of the Fellraiser) as the Salomon shape seems to fit me better and more comfortably than Innov-8

I used older-style XTalon-212s for my BGR and they were fine. However, I've got a more pristine pair of slightly lighter XTalon-190s (same studded sole) which I'm tempted to try in the Borrowdale Fell Race -- yet I know their lesser padding would be a downside, balanced against their better (less worn) grip and lighter weight. Decisions, decisions...

Call me cheap, but I found two pairs of Adidas Kanadias did just fine. Grip is ok and they are very comfortable (as long as you go for a size larger than normal: I'm an 8 but wear Adidas 9). As noted above, the purer fell shoes tend to be a bit short of padding for my liking.

Worm

Morning Campers,

May I put a curveball in there - a couple of the La Sportivas are ace. The old Cross Countrys were brilliant and saw me round the Lakes - a lovely, slim low rise shoe with just enough cushioning and excellent grip in all conditions. I think these have been discontinued now -boo! However, there's a grey version with a slightly thicker sole that is also excellent and a bit more comfortable - they're called the Crosslite Trail.
    After a bit they 'go' at the widest part of the foot on the uppers 'cos of all the bending but they'll keep on trucking! I'd keep buying them even after they've blown out and got worn out as they really are so comfy and grippy AND they've got yellow bits on!

Andy K

I've often fancied trying the Sportiva's but as I get away quite well with Speedcross/Salomon's I tend to stick with them. I might try the Fell Raisers next though. Should at least have a look at Sportiva's though I think....
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

just picked up some very nice salomon from tk max £30

Quote Originally Posted by Worm View Post
    Call me cheap, but I found two pairs of Adidas Kanadias did just fine. Grip is ok and they are very comfortable (as long as you go for a size larger than normal: I'm an 8 but wear Adidas 9). As noted above, the purer fell shoes tend to be a bit short of padding for my liking.

Worm
    you cannot go wrong with Kanadia and long may they continue to fly under the radar - that way the price will stay down!

cushioning, aggressive grip, sewn-in tongue, minimal water retention... perfect

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    you cannot go wrong with Kanadia and long may they continue to fly under the radar - that way the price will stay down!

cushioning, aggressive grip, sewn-in tongue, minimal water retention... perfect
    Any difference between the Kanadia 4, 5 and 6 Barny (except the price)?