Thread: Cock Howe and beyond

Cock Howe and beyond

We're away on our jollies in the camper and surprise surprise I stumbled across a fell race (pre-planned, never?). At registration, race organiser Dave ( what a brilliant character obviously much loved in these parts ) said to me..."you're that nutter who races all the time, you fellrunners are all crackers".
    I was surprised to see Glossops Carl Bedson who had cunningly worked out a days placement in Middlesborough through work... liking your planning mate. And Mr Breeze made an appearance, just, he'd gone to the start of another race in the area and arrived last minute after realising his mistake....Graham, it's your age. Also a pleasure to see Joe Blackett, who always hammers me on the lakeland classics.
    The race itself was another scorcher like many are at the moment and bone dry underfoot. Enjoyed the long steady climb towards the moors followed by good running across the tops. We then picked up a well defined track which seemed to go on for ever, probably only 2 miles but felt more. The descent was fast over narrow paths through the heather and then head high bracken, a field running parallel would of probably been a better choice but I followed a local in front. Pleased to finish 4th and win 2 bottles of wine. Dave must have a vineyard, I've never seen some many bottles of wine handed out at a presentation.
    Very enjoyable evening in the lovely North Yorkshire moors, many thanks to Dave and his helpers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post

I was surprised to see Glossops Carl Bedson who had cunningly worked out a days placement in Middlesborough through work... liking your planning mate. And Mr Breeze made an appearance, just, he'd gone to the start of another race in the area and arrived last minute after realising his mistake....Graham, it's your age. Also a pleasure to see Joe Blackett, who always hammers me on the lakeland classics.
    My age???

Some of us only need 8 mins from registration to a scorching up- hill start.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

All the Mid-Week races are great! Don't get over any where as much as I'd like to do them...pretty much never these days in fact. I really should make more of an effort when visiting my mum and in-laws etc! Next time.....
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

One of my favourites Carl Bell turned up a few year back much too my surprise, in this quiet corner of the moors and toyed with us all on the climb before belting away too and uncontested victory! Indeed Dave Parry is a legend and has put so much into fell running, athletics, cross country and road running, Top man also

.glad you enjoyed the race Darren ,all Dave's races are excellent plus he's funny chap,ran it last year in similar weather,there's 25 plus races every year try a few more Darren.