Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utmb 2014

Well done Martyn and Karen and all who competed. Fingers crossed

It's no secret that I am a big fan of the UTMB series of races. I've done the CCC twice and the UTMB. I'd love to complete the set with a TDS and a PTL at some point subject to the state of my body.

I've also covered the UTMB with the team from iRunFar.com (in 2013) and written about the spirit of all the races, UTMB in particular here:

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/08/the-spirit-of-utmb.html

If you love mountain ultras, you should make an effort to go. Run any of the races; they are all fantastic.

Every year it seems there is a post-mortem about why the American men "underperform". (I'm not sure 4th is underperforming, mind.)

I am a great believer in the fact that familiarity with a course generates a degree of comfort that allows for maximum achievement at whatever level of performance and wherever someone sits in terms of ability in the field.

If the Americans really want to deliver at UTMB, then they should follow the example of Rory Bosio and Jason Schlarb and make UTMB their primary goal for the particular year. It's no accident that both of these people spent the last 8-10 weeks in the Alps and in the Chamonix area in particular training and becoming comfortable with the course, the weather and everything else in the alpine environment.

It's also pretty clear that the Kilian factor is having an effect. Whilst he keeps popping away to summit very large mountains very quickly, he's still a firm presence on the European mountain ultra and Skyrunning scenes. The guys at the front have to chase him for the win week in, week out. If they want to compete, they have to get better, and they are doing.

The performance of the first three men this year I thought was exceptional; Tofol in particular. To debut at 100 miles and be in the mix with d'Haene and Karrera for much of the race was amazing.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator
    Local runners win local races
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Local runners win local races

I'm always near the back in my local races!!!

Nice Vid
    Well done Dutch Peaks

Thanks Steve!
    And thanks to the various people (esp. Morgan and BritNick) on this forum for the advice and support.
    Incredible and unforgettable experience, thanks to the great local support all the way along the route, fantastic scenery, and the mind-boggling distance and ascents/ descents. Brilliant.
    Great also to see some familiar faces, incl Karen Nash, Martyn Price, Mandy Calvert, David Ralphs, and a 'few' miles/ hours ahead, Dave Ward and Nicky Spinks; congrats to all!!!!
    Hanno

Leader of TDG has dropped out after an allegation of cheating.

Not confirmed yet..

The old 'using the car'.. denied it and dropped out...

Quote Originally Posted by dutch peaks View Post
    Thanks Steve!
    And thanks to the various people (esp. Morgan and BritNick) on this forum for the advice and support.
    Incredible and unforgettable experience, thanks to the great local support all the way along the route, fantastic scenery, and the mind-boggling distance and ascents/ descents. Brilliant.
    Great also to see some familiar faces, incl Karen Nash, Martyn Price, Mandy Calvert, David Ralphs, and a 'few' miles/ hours ahead, Dave Ward and Nicky Spinks; congrats to all!!!!
    Hanno
    Really well done, Hanno. Following you and others on the live webcast got me dreaming about entering again after saying 'never again' (three times). It's the most awesome and challenging event most of us will ever do.

I finally got round to writing my UTMB 2014 blog. Here it is: http://exilesview.blogspot.co.uk/
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners