Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drymax socks for ultras

Super Moderator

Drymax socks for ultras

I'm a Luddite when it comes to kit (and a tight-wad), but was intrigued by comments on the Lakeland 100 2014 thread by Alan and Simon regarding Drymax socks. I had my first run in them last night and will post updates in the future. I'm as happy as Larry in PB wooly socks or Running Bears for 99% of my running but this interest is specifically with regard to the 100 (and similar events)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I had my first run in them last night and will post updates in the future.
    Some say the forum's going downhill.

Think again.

Mate, I await your sock updates like the next episode of 24.
    Geoff Clarke

I await with interest too, my feet were bashed after the 10 Peaks and I would like to give the L100 a go next year.

How are you doing Hank? Long time, no see. Hope all is well with you and your family.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Post # 25 on a previous sock thread:

"I'm very cynical about these Morgan. If your feet are dry they're dry and if they're wet (think prime Pennine knee-deep oozing black peat) a fancy pair of socks isn't going to help. Wool is the way forward. Have you ever seen a Swaledale or a Herdwick looking cold or wet or with blisters?

In fairness they aren't obscenely expensive and it might be worth a punt on a pair. Anyway I thought you did alright recently at the French ultra you did. If it ain't broke...."

How things change....?
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

I have the Drymax Trail Light, Standard and the Ultimate and only use them for longer runs, 15+ and have to say that the Light and Extreme don't really do anything that the standards don't. They Light are not particularly cooler than the Standards and the very expensive Ultimate are have no more noticeable comfort than the Standards, but are thicker which could cause shoes fit issues on an ultra. None of them keep my feet dry in the Peak Bogs, but they definitely keep them in better condition on long, wet and cold runs, as on the Spine Fun Run. For all my normal runs I just use whatever comes to hand, Inov8 Prosoc, Bridgedales, etc. Really it's just like all the trainer debates - it's all down to personal preferences :-/

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Post # 25 on a previous sock thread:

"I'm very cynical about these Morgan. If your feet are dry they're dry and if they're wet (think prime Pennine knee-deep oozing black peat) a fancy pair of socks isn't going to help. Wool is the way forward. Have you ever seen a Swaledale or a Herdwick looking cold or wet or with blisters?

In fairness they aren't obscenely expensive and it might be worth a punt on a pair. Anyway I thought you did alright recently at the French ultra you did. If it ain't broke...."

How things change....?
    Stalker

A longer sock may be better for puppetry

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Stalker
    As you know well, I visit but infrequently these days.

But I do have a long memory.

Anyway, how are the Drymax?

I still have two pairs of the lightest ones on the go. 2 years old and still almost as new. And the best socks I have for wet weather.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator
    One run done in them and initial impression very good. Going out shortly and have plans for a decent outing tomorrow in them. Will keep you posted

Super Moderator
    Very impressed so far. I was shocked how dry my feet stayed yesterday going up Arenig Fawr (think start leg 2, BG, after a relatively dry spell). They seem very comfie too and the 1/4 crew aren't that far removed in thickness from a traditional wool fell running sock. I'll definitely be continuing with trials