Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drymax socks for ultras

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Very impressed so far. I was shocked how dry my feet stayed yesterday going up Arenig Fawr (think start leg 2, BG, after a relatively dry spell). They seem very comfie too and the 1/4 crew aren't that far removed in thickness from a traditional wool fell running sock. I'll definitely be continuing with trials
    I won't say "I told you so....!"
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator
    I walked for 7 hours on Sunday in an old pair Walshes and the Drymax 1/4 crews. Absolutely amazed how good my feet felt both during the walk (over 'typical' North York Moors paths, tracks plus a bit of heather-bashing) and the following day. Very encouraging!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Decided to give these a go and bought two pairs of drymax, after the soles of my feet got wrecked on the Lakeland 100 last month. They arrived last week, a day before we set off for the Grand Raid Pyrenees which was last Friday (100 miles, 34000ft ascent). Although an advocate of never trying anything new on the day of an event, I wore the drymax, but carried a pair of my old socks just in case. I changed into a fresh pair of drymax at 50 miles. What a revelation - the weather was wet for most of the night, and my feet were wet for most of the event. Plenty of technical descents to tear soft skin. At the end my feet felt fine, no split soles on this one. No blisters on soles or heels, just two small blisters on top of toes but nowt really. I could even walk properly the next day. Well Worth the £21 in my view and I'll be using these for anything over 50 mile.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt N View Post
    Decided to give these a go and bought two pairs of drymax, after the soles of my feet got wrecked on the Lakeland 100 last month. They arrived last week, a day before we set off for the Grand Raid Pyrenees which was last Friday (100 miles, 34000ft ascent). Although an advocate of never trying anything new on the day of an event, I wore the drymax, but carried a pair of my old socks just in case. I changed into a fresh pair of drymax at 50 miles. What a revelation - the weather was wet for most of the night, and my feet were wet for most of the event. Plenty of technical descents to tear soft skin. At the end my feet felt fine, no split soles on this one. No blisters on soles or heels, just two small blisters on top of toes but nowt really. I could even walk properly the next day. Well Worth the £21 in my view and I'll be using these for anything over 50 mile.

Matt
    I only tried them twice before the L100, and decided after shredding my feet on my previous 2 L100s to give them a go, on a couldn't be any worse theory. They were far better than I expected. Really glad I found them after a bit of Internet research in the lead up. My only surprise is that they seam like the best kept secret in ultra running. Maybe it's because the Americans want to keep them for themselves?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    I only tried them twice before the L100, and decided after shredding my feet on my previous 2 L100s to give them a go, on a couldn't be any worse theory. They were far better than I expected. Really glad I found them after a bit of Internet research in the lead up. My only surprise is that they seam like the best kept secret in ultra running. Maybe it's because the Americans want to keep them for themselves?
    Interesting point Alan. I'm hoping the days of 'just turn up in the first pair out the drawer and suffer' are over for me
    Poacher turned game-keeper

As I was getting through socks rather rapidly thought I would give these a go. Not the incredibly expensive ones just the rather expensive ones. Thoughts so far....comfy.if a bit thick around the toes, they do get wet (omm anyone) and seem to stay wet...if left wet or damp they start to honk a bit also (currently banished to out back). So far seem durable (compared to some woollen socks that I have gone through in a few runs). So on balance OK but certainly don't keep my feet dry or dry quickly.

Super Moderator
    The two pairs of Drymax I bought in 2014 are still going strong but I’m minded to try some lighter weight versions

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    The two pairs of Drymax I bought in 2014 are still going strong but I’m minded to try some lighter weight versions
    Are Drymax any better than Sealskins DT? I've never had much luck with them. Tried several pairs but they seem to leak if I run in them from the start, or if I fell walk for any decent distance.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    Different product Mossy. Drymax are kind of wicking / water resistant rather than Sealskins which are warmer and billed as waterproof. I wore my Drymax last night in dewy grass and mud and didn’t notice underfoot conditions at all. Not cheap but very good