Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Start times clockwise

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Serves you right for going out with Stolly!

It must be deliberate, nobody can have as many "accidents with weather" as he does!
    The only time we were physically involved with a Stolly BG the thing was he set off going in the right direction, the weather was lovely and we dragged him back to Keswick with minutes to spare
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 06-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

As a supporter or nav, a place I have seen a lot of "ashen faces" is on red pike climb, which seems to be harder than people expect and endless particularly if bad weather, so they cannot measure it out in their heads . Once they are up there and particularly to pillar on time, the mood of the contender seems to brighten, and when on gable with something to spare, most get positive ,however knackered! So I reckon that climb to red pike is pretty crucial at least in mindset. <br>
    <br>
    I think they put yewbarrow in the "not looking forward to" category, so in a way make the mistake of so thinking it will ease up, but it does not because red pike is similar in effort.<br>
    <br>
    I cannot imagine what it is like mentally to be 30 mins down on a 24 schedule across leg 4/5 knowing it is doable (just) but only if you go quicker than you have done so far - when every fibre of your body is telling you to stop, not go quicker!! And hats off to the ones that keep going all the way to do 24.15 or 24.30 knowing they have not made it, but keeping it up anyway.
    I've been enjoying this thread hugely, nodding my head here, shaking it there and generally reliving a lot of my own experiences - even the biblical monsoon we had on leg 3 of Stolly's attempt #2. What I will agree with is AI's comments above; most schedules have the timing for Yewbarrow and Red Pike as even, yet I personally think that Red Pike is a. underated as to its severity and b. a few minutes more than Yewbarrow. I've navigated leg 4 for various BGs over the past two years and that has definitely been a recurring pattern..... also, I've met more than one person who has gone for the "wrong" cairn and not actually realised where the true Red Pike summit is!

Back onto the central theme though, both my attempts kicked off at 6.00pm. I suppose it's what you get used to, but I had plenty of experience on leg 2 in the dark, not so leg 1 and I never fancied the idea of that long slog up Mungrisdale in pitch darkness. As it was, my successful round was quite late in the season (18/19th Aug) and the timing meant that I came off Blencathra as the sun was setting - which was my intention - then all of leg 2 and a good chunk of leg 3 in the dark. I had absolutely no qualms about leg 2, I'd been out in some bloody awful conditions on that leg (haven't we all?) and was confident that the team I had with me would nail it and on schedule (Stolly was with me and it didn't rain), that's how it turned out. Leg 3 was fine for the most part, but Calf Crag was actually a bit tricky on a very dark night and I'm sure my navigator - in whom I had supreme faith - would confess to a few twitchy moments, just because the ground looked so unfamiliar at night. The darkness definitely had a bit of an effect on leg 3 and I lost a bit of time around the Langdales, but clawed most of it back by Great End. So, my assessment is a 6.00pm start is not necessarily the way to go for a late-season BG, but it can work.
    Last edited by Martyn P; 06-08-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I've been enjoying this thread hugely, nodding my head here, shaking it there and generally reliving a lot of my own experiences - even the biblical monsoon we had on leg 3 of Stolly's attempt #2. What I will agree with is AI's comments above; most schedules have the timing for Yewbarrow and Red Pike as even, yet I personally think that Red Pike is a. underated as to its severity and b. a few minutes more than Yewbarrow. I've navigated leg 4 for various BGs over the past two years and that has definitely been a recurring pattern..... also, I've met more than one person who has gone for the "wrong" cairn and not actually realised where the true Red Pike summit is!

Back onto the central theme though, both my attempts kicked off at 6.00pm. I suppose it's what you get used to, but I had plenty of experience on leg 2 in the dark, not so leg 1 and I never fancied the idea of that long slog up Mungrisdale in pitch darkness. As it was, my successful round was quite late in the season (18/19th Aug) and the timing meant that I came off Blencathra as the sun was setting - which was my intention - then all of leg 2 and a good chunk of leg 3 in the dark. I had absolutely no qualms about leg 2, I'd been out in some bloody awful conditions on that leg (haven't we all?) and was confident that the team I had with me would nail it and on schedule (Stolly was with me and it didn't rain), that's how it turned out. Leg 3 was fine for the most part, but Calf Crag was actually a bit tricky on a very dark night and I'm sure my navigator - in whom I had supreme faith - would confess to a few twitchy moments, just because the ground looked so unfamiliar at night. The darkness definitely had a bit of an effect on leg 3 and I lost a bit of time around the Langdales, but clawed most of it back by Great End. So, my assessment is a 6.00pm start is not necessarily the way to go for a late-season BG, but it can work.
    I think calf is a tough one for clag nav too.

Have you tried the direct from yewbarrow? Just before the col a set of grassy trods connect down, more or less on direct bearing, across the stream, then dead reckon crossing the path to the RHS at a rock spire about the height of stirrup the other side of the col, then dead reckon. I reckon the times done that way are more or less same, though the perception of red pike is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post

As ever, Martyn puts it point across so well and I must say I whole-hardheartedly agree about leg 2 in the dark not being such a big deal. If you've done the route in good and really crap weather and know it's little twists and turns (and be ready for them) you should be alright.
    As for start times, I went for 7.30pm. I hit Mungrisdale Common as twilight was fading knowing that finding and descending Doddick Fell in the dark is straightforward. The upside is the seeing an imminent sunrise from fairfield and that the descent of Seat Sandal would be done in daylight.
    Thinking that I may need all 24 hours, my start time was entirely based on where I would rather be in the dark.
    I gave no consideration to the arguments about missing sleep. In fact, throughout the round, needing to sleep was never an issue. If anyone thinks sleep may be an issue to consider I suggest they support someone on their overnight leg/s and see how they get on.
    Last edited by keswicksimon; 07-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.

After four big bags of jelly babies, sleep was the last thing I was capable of!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    After four big bags of jelly babies, sleep was the last thing I was capable of!
    That is the one I don't get. People saying "want to get back in time for a pint"...a couple I saw that tried that, certainly had other things to do than sleep (and a rapid walk needed to do them, to avoid decorating the place where they were!)
    Supporters want a pint. Contenders must have a hell of a constitution to do that!

That is the one I don't get. People saying "want to get back in time for a pint"...a couple I saw that tried that, certainly had other things to do than sleep (and a rapid walk needed to do them, to avoid decorating the place where they were!)
    Supporters want a pint. Contenders must have a hell of a constitution to do that!
    I must admit I tried to have a pint. Sat in the pub, managed a quarter of it and started to feel a bit faint. Went out side and passed out. Passers by thought I'd had a bit too much to drink after a night on the town.

Back on topic, I went at midnight and felt tired at the start but once I got going I felt ok. It's also not long until the sunrise, which really helps improve how you feel.

I felt great after my BG. Finished at about 6pm, had a couple of pints in the sunshine, had a shower etc., then went for a curry and more beer later.

Had felt utterly shattered on leg 2/3 but once Red Pike was out of the way I just seemed to feel more and more lively. I'd been dreading the tarmac at Newlands church all the way round but felt as fresh as a daisy when I got there.

I think AI is right about Red Pike being a psychological barrier.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I got back at 22.07 after a midnight start (2007). Always intending to celebrate at the pub if things went well. So we did. Whilst my friend went for a second pint I stood up and fainted. I Was out for 40 ish seconds, and was lucky not to fall directly onto the paving slabs. An ambulance was called , which I then cancelled. Everyone thought I was smashed on booze. Thinking back I think I needed food more than beer. I now recognise the onset of this. My remedy is to lie down on the floor(before falling down ) and put my feet up. I do this all the time now after efforts of this magnitude.

My two pints in the Dog and Gun following my successful BG went down an absolute treat - it was an hour or so later that I effectively fell asleep face first in my dinner

In fact given that I looked like death warmed up on the road in from Newlands, I perked up considerably in the pub!

The road.....

The pub....