Thread: Lowther Run

Lowther Run

If anyone's done this race could they give me a brief description of the route and Grid ref for Start/Finish area? The FRA Calendar says it's mainly on tracks and paths but others say a lot of it is on the road. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: Lowther Run

Starts in Lowther showground in front of the castle (NY525235) runs out through Askam villiage before climbing up on to the low fells at the back of Ullswater. Takes a loop round to the road to Helton and follows good Farm tracks all the way back to the river lowther cutting back in to finish by runing up the hill to the castle and dropping down the other side back to the showfield. Not an easy course to describe but about 50-60% is off road\tracks. I've always run it in road shoes.

Master

road shoes for me see you Friday?
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Starts in Lowther showground in front of the castle (NY525235) runs out through Askam villiage before climbing up on to the low fells at the back of Ullswater. Takes a loop round to the road to Helton and follows good Farm tracks all the way back to the river lowther cutting back in to finish by runing up the hill to the castle and dropping down the other side back to the showfield. Not an easy course to describe but about 50-60% is off road\tracks. I've always run it in road shoes.
    Thanks for the information. I 'think' I've worked out roughly where it goes. Am I right in thinking Askam, past Winder Hall, back of Heughscar Hill, down past the Cop Stone and turn Rt. at the road to Scales Farm, over Heltondale Beck and follow the loop round to Helton then roughly back along the river?
    Haven't decided what shoes to wear yet, but probably Roclites.
    Cheers!

Master

good to meet and be beaten by Runningfox, well done sir
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    good to meet and be beaten by Runningfox, well done sir
    Thanks John, good to meet you too, albeit briefly. Wasn't it a super race? Haven't seen the official results yet, so where did you finish? I managed 1:49:34 (in 49th place) to take the MV70's prize - a £10 voucher and a smashing engraved Cumbrian Crystal glass that could really tempt a man to stop racing and turn to drink!
    The 315 Roclites I was racing in for the first time proved an excellent choice, well suited to all the different surfaces and comfortable throughout.
    Cheers!