Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Round Jules C!

Ramsay Round Jules C!

Well done Jules Coleman on battling through appalling weather conditions to complete the Ramsay Round in 23.52. Jules has had very bad luck on previous attempts and when things were looking grim yesterday afternoon he put in a super human effort in torrential rain and storm force winds on the Mamores to become the 5th success this year. He and his team had the mountains to themselves - not seeing another person for the entire round!

Craig Stansfield, Mark Ruscoe, Dave Swift, Debbie and myself were his minimal support team.

I weighed my waterlogged clothing, pack and shoes when I got back home today. They alone weighed 5kg!

If persistence and grit count for anything then Charlie's Run owed this one to Jules.
    Nowhere near the time that he had in mind, or is capable of, but sometimes you just have to take what the mountains give you. Well done mate.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Thanks Geoff, relieved and pleased to finish under 24! A lot of work from Craig Mark, Dave and Tom made that possible. Huge thanks to Debbie and Lyndsey Ruscoe for driving and midgey road support.

Tom's ingenious nutrition tactics of offering a slug (and then a live toad, and then some sheep sh*t) in one hand and a gel in the other worked and kept the humour going.

Timing wise, yes I was hoping for faster - purely as a personal target. I was in similar shape to my sub 20 BG, and had reccied the round quite thoroughly. So was hoping for maybe around 22 hrs. In hindsight I knew the BG much more thoroughly, how to run it in all weathers, what speed to be going when, and more used to the style of terrain.

But we'd made up enough time initially to get through the bad weather with expert support.

Anyone looking to go in the near future, do check out the two short forest sections in Glen Nevis. We'd not run them since last summer and the felled trees added a heart pounding ten minutes.

Jules
    Last edited by Jules C; 04-08-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Typo

I hope Adnan is reading this.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    Nowhere near the time that he had in mind, or is capable of
    Doesn't matter. Might not be 22:00ish, but (unless you're chasing records) there's ultimately only one time that matters...

but sometimes you just have to take what the mountains give you. Well done mate.
    On which note, as a 23:50 finisher who's always pleased to see others get it too, I can only say well done Jules and team!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules C View Post

Anyone looking to go in the near future, do check out the two short forest sections in Glen Nevis. We'd not run them since last summer and the felled trees added a heart pounding ten minutes.

Jules
    Well done Jules. I'd be pleased with sub 24 too

So would you recommend trying to get to the road earlier or down towards the Glas Chreag then Sgorr Chalum ? I haven't done that part but that looks easier on the map. The green is what I am hoping to do and the red is the one I mentioned above. What do you say? Glen Nevis Descent.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I hope Adnan is reading this.
    I am. Looks like it will be a wet one this weekend too

_|_
    ./\.

Hi Adnan, the bits we had trouble with are on your green route. I've not tried the red route but others on the forum will have done.

But on your green route, the bits I wish I'd checked were the circa 150m that cuts the corner between the first forest road you hit coming off the descent and the second. I'd say either reccy and find a clear line, or sacrifice the 5-10 mins short cut and just follow the track SE then back NW. But as it stands the straight line on your map between the two forest roads is like a bomb-site.

The second point is literally 150m from the end, to get from the forest road to the main road. That's easily solved now - but do reccy. You need to take the new path that links the track with the road, circa 0.5m SE of the YHA (at the point the road and track are closest together)

Hope you enjoy it.
    Last edited by Jules C; 04-08-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Mistake typo

Thanks Jules for the heads up. Don't think I'll get the chance to reccy it. I'll ask my support if they can have a look for it, or if I can see a road from the top maybe take a direct bearing from there and aim for it

_|_
    ./\.

Not sure id trust a line of sight (unless your supporters carry a chain saw!)It would only take 5 mins for you to reccy the section nearest the YHA, and around 10-15 minutes from the car for the higher section between the two forest roads. Fingers crossed.

Thanks . Will try to get there earlier and have a look out.

_|_
    ./\.