Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Israel and Gaza

I think we should have a ceasefire on this thread.

It is getting very Oraclesque, which nearly put an end to the forum.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I've got a mate from Palestine. We were both fighting for the same gym at the time of my last fight.

We had a fight at a big music venue in Leamington Spa.... we were very much the "away" team and the home fighters had a big crowd.

We were told that our walk-out music could be nothing controversial, no bad language and definitely nothing political....

I walked out to a Drum & Bass remix of Smack My Bitch Up by Prodigy, which got me in a bit of trouble....

My mate walked out to a pro-Palestine, anti-America song, which contained an astonishing amount of foul language suffice to say the home crowd were pretty riled up when his fight started.... he got knocked down in the first 30secs and the crowd were baying for blood, but he got up and flying kicked the home guy and straight knocked him out

He was a tough guy.... we were at quite an "old school" gym and we would knock hell out of each other in sparring (which i must say i didn't really agree with)... he'd try and punch my lights out, and i'd kick away at his legs until he couldn't walk.... he used to hobble out of the gym barely able to walk, and never complained....

Tariq my man!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This thread is called 'Israel and Gaza', yet you posted a link, (and the only form of verifiable support to what you've said recently), to a short-lived 1970 conflict that did not involve Israel, did not involve Hamas and wasn't in Gaza either. Consequently it has no relevance to this thread. If you want to discuss it further I suggest you start a 'Black September 1970' thread.

This is highly offensive as you are implying that all Palestinians are like that. Name a country country that hasn't had some form of terrorist activity in the last 53.5 years. Following your logic we should say that Catholics and Protestants have a track record of violence and terrorism, as they were killing each other in Northern Ireland less than 30 years ago.
    I reckon you hold the record for identifying offense on here Marco, and the point about that short-lived conflict is that it is perhaps part of one long, never ending conflict - and you miss that I didn't just identify one.
    I identified several - and I can find more sources if you like, but I do not believe they are in dispute.

Someone once said those who don't learn from the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Historical events are important, at least that is what the Palestinian supporters tell us, but they have certain cut-offs they prefer to apply, perhaps because when you look at it in the round, the narratives they promote will fall apart.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

So what do you think of my effort of a resolution Marco?

You clearly disagree with my assessment, but what of an Arab League security presence?

What would you like to see?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I would agree with Marco that attributing the various atrocities mentioned by WP to "The Palestinians" is offensive. It's like saying that "The British" massacred several hundred unarmed demonstrators in Amritsar in 1919: "The British", that's all of us.

WP refers to "historical events", and they are definitely at the root of all the present issues. Many thousands of Palestinian Arabs were forcibly removed from their homes (and many killed) in 1948. It's not entirely surprising that this has given rise to continuing extremist violence from some Palestinians, especially since there are extremists on the Israeli side who seem determined to provoke them.

I do think that WP's suggestion regarding the Arab League has some merit, but I can't imagine Netanyahu agreeing to it.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I would agree with Marco that attributing the various atrocities mentioned by WP to "The Palestinians" is offensive. It's like saying that "The British" massacred several hundred unarmed demonstrators in Amritsar in 1919: "The British", that's all of us.

WP refers to "historical events", and they are definitely at the root of all the present issues. Many thousands of Palestinian Arabs were forcibly removed from their homes (and many killed) in 1948. It's not entirely surprising that this has given rise to continuing extremist violence from some Palestinians, especially since there are extremists on the Israeli side who seem determined to provoke them.

I do think that WP's suggestion regarding the Arab League has some merit, but I can't imagine Netanyahu agreeing to it.
    1919?

1948?

careful Anthony.

just out of interest, were you offended by what I posted?
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    So what do you think of my effort of a resolution Marco?

You clearly disagree with my assessment, but what of an Arab League security presence?
    One of the more constructive comments on this thread. Whether it would work I don't know. I suspect it would take a more powerful/better armed force, such as a US-backed peacekeeping force, to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    What would you like to see?
    I see no point in the current slaughter, it's just making things worse and making a resolution harder.

If you look at all of the history for this area since World War 2 then neither side looks particularly good, and any neutral would point out that other countries have added to this too. In all honesty, this is far too complicated for me to offer a solution. The best that I can suggest is that a very powerful force goes into the whole area and re-looks at the boundaries and keeps the peace.

I was in Northern Ireland, and particularly Belfast, nearly 30 years ago and saw all sorts of scary things and a lot of hatred. Against all odds, they did find a lasting peace that didn't seem possible back then - so however difficult it is, it can be done

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post

Well said Anthony.
    I have stopped posting on this thread as The amount of vitriol doled out, and the one sidedness by some contributors is bringing the forum down.
    As Llani say's: lets stop this now.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Well said Anthony.
    I have stopped posting on this thread as The amount of vitriol doled out, and the one sidedness by some contributors is bringing the forum down.
    As Llani say's: lets stop this now.
    I agree - you did come across as one sided.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell