Thread: Welsh Eligibilty?

Welsh Eligibilty?

Hi all,

My daughter has expressed an interest in competing in the Under 8's Moel Famau fell race attached to the Cilcain Show. I'm happy for her to do this.

I run mainly WFRA fell races and on the entry form there is a check box for Welsh eligibility. I don't know if the Junior entry forms are the same but just in case they are I have checked the Welsh Athletics website and I believe she eligible on the grounds that her Mam was born in Wales (on the assumption that the WA rules provide the basis for the WFRA rules).

Can someone confirm or shed any further light on this.

I know it's a bit of a moot point for her first race but I'm a bit of a stickler for this kind of thing.

Master
    She will be yes. I was always Welsh eligible on those grounds- however she may not be able to win prizes at some events as they go off residency- North Wales Junior Mountain Running being one of those
    WFRA rules are not dictated by WA though. Arwel Lewis was the man to speak to about it back in 2008-ish, he may be a good starting point- I think he is on the Eryri committee
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Hi all,

My daughter has expressed an interest in competing in the Under 8's Moel Famau fell race attached to the Cilcain Show. I'm happy for her to do this.

I run mainly WFRA fell races and on the entry form there is a check box for Welsh eligibility. I don't know if the Junior entry forms are the same but just in case they are I have checked the Welsh Athletics website and I believe she eligible on the grounds that her Mam was born in Wales (on the assumption that the WA rules provide the basis for the WFRA rules).

Can someone confirm or shed any further light on this.

I know it's a bit of a moot point for her first race but I'm a bit of a stickler for this kind of thing.

WFRA and WA are totally unrelated..

Grandparents, birth or 2 years residency are required for welsh eligibility normally.

WFRA don't really bother ourselves reinventing wheels, so if your young 'un qualifies under WA guidelines, who would we be to act differently?
    Appreciate sticklerniness and all that but,honestly, is it really so vital for a wee one? Let them run free! Tick whatever box you like. Who in their right minds would challenge you??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Cheers for the replies.

I wouldn't have asked but she's a good reader with the arguing skills of a barrister and I have visions of a barney while filling in the form unless I can give her a good reason for either not ticking or ticking.

Ah, well thats entirely different! Bless her, with tenacity like that, Wales would be proud to have her! Hope she has a lovely run!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth