Thread: 9/10 August

9/10 August

Congratulations to Hugo Farmer on a successful round - 23 hours 49 minutes.

Despite the horrendous weather forecast he went ahead, starting at 2200 on Saturday.

The forecast strong wind and heavy rain eventually materialised in a big way at Green Gable, and the last fell section was somewhat of an ordeal, although there was thankfully some respite in the Newlands valley.

Well done Hugo!

There were also two young lads from an orienteering club who were going really well and were 45 mins ahead of us at Honister on a 22 ish hour schedule.

Harold Wyber (Woodford Green with Essex Ladies, Springfield Striders/Serpentine, CHIG OC, general club whore) and former winner of University Challenge (2007 I believe) round in 21:30
    Iain Embrey (orienteer ex GBR junior squad I think) 22:51.
    Apparently they took 'the worst line ever seen' up Yewbarrow - Harold is 'well renowned' for his navigation.
    Did leg 1 with them (where we saw Hugo's lot all over the back of Blencathra...) and they were moving very well.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Harold Wyber (Woodford Green with Essex Ladies, Springfield Striders/Serpentine, CHIG OC, general club whore) and former winner of University Challenge (2007 I believe) round in 21:30
    Iain Embrey (orienteer ex GBR junior squad I think) 22:51.
    Apparently they took 'the worst line ever seen' up Yewbarrow - Harold is 'well renowned' for his navigation.
    Did leg 1 with them (where we saw Hugo's lot all over the back of Blencathra...) and they were moving very well.
    I watched their line up Yewbarrow from Brackenclose - literally straight up!

apparently one of their supporters ('never been on a fell before') took this line back down, fell and was MR'd off...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    apparently one of their supporters ('never been on a fell before') took this line back down, fell and was MR'd off...
    http://www.wmrt.org.uk/incidents/yew...10th-aug-2014/
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

A whole group of us were watching their progress up Yewbarrow, which came to halt under the very prominent scree fan, before which one has normally traversed to the right.

It was clear that one chap had stopped, but none of us had any idea that anything was amiss, except for the lack of fell experience or 'climbing legs', which is what we attributed the stop too.

Hugos's attempt took us on the 'proper line', which must have passed close, but we did not hear any shouts for help.

Hope he is OK.

Hey, congratulations Hugo sticking out to get round in that weather.

My mate reckons that "there's only 11 days a year you can't get out at all" (Don't ask, I don't know how he comes up with it). On Sunday night I thought: that was one of those eleven.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote