Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it for?

I am well and truly out of the front room but fortunately am in Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    I was under the impression the forum was just for keeping you busy and out of the 'front room'

I am well and truly out of the front room but fortunately am in Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    I was under the impression the forum was just for keeping you busy and out of the 'front room'

Master
    Is it for practicing Echos? OK I see.

Master
    Is it got practicing Echos? OK I see.

pardon?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Pardon?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

"What is it all for", "There's only me", is everyone OK here??? I was trying to find some suitable Marvin quotes (the former can be attributed to the whale)... but, anyway, sorry, the flying counsellor has given up in despair and abandoned the remaining few on here to your own devices.. after our failed attempt at Athenian democracy when all the pottery sherds demanded that AI be banned, but nothing came of it (is it because we didn't reach 6,000 votes?).. so everyone else left instead.

..I mean, sorry, but as many have said, for the headline thread in the headline forum to be endlessly full of repetitive, OTT scaremongering and abusive slanging matches has done nothing at all for the public image of fellrunning and destroyed the forum community. Invading numerous other threads seriously did not help. And please don't have the bit where AI & Co. claim to have single-handedly shifted the FRA's safety agenda..

Probably what I am saying is, if AI wasn't going to be liquidated/moderated, then we would have better had a separate safety section.

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    ..I mean, sorry, but as many have said, for the headline thread in the headline forum to be endlessly full of repetitive, OTT scaremongering and abusive slanging matches has done nothing at all for the public image of fellrunning and destroyed the forum community.
    Oh come on. I think you are attaching far too much to all this. I don't feel the community is destroyed at all. Pee'd off yes, but still live and kicking as far as I can see.

This is a common situation for many fora. No question, others will perhaps have moderated a bit more tightly, but as fell runners, we probably guard our freedoms more than others so a lighter hand on the mod handle is appropriate.

What we have here is a gnarly, rocky ridge in a blizzard. Soon we will break out on to a high mountain pasture in bright sunshine and all will be well again.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    There is a problem with parking this year. Announcement shortly
    Get a grip Brett.

As the man in charge, you should be showing some leadership - laying down your thoughts on standards for this forum , right here on a thread about the forum and leading that discussion, not joining in petty derailing of it. How will information on Sedbergh be found here?.

And LisaJ - making it personal never did help , but yes I and others did indeed shift FRA safety policy, not far enough, but hey its a start: (recognise it was Wynns inability to comply that sparked it all - and my role in her race that got me involved - so a very legitimate interest)
    Some of what was mandated was ludicrous (now removed - even you agreed at the time), and other important issues have now been addressed, others vital as yet unattended, which have to be addressed ASAP from safety and liability standpoints. I commend Andy Watts for cutting through B/S that said nothing could be changed at all, when it all so clearly had to, and Andy Walmsley for helping to fight the fight that led to instigating change although he was pushed out before change happened. I commend Witton as one of a few RO who willing to stick his head over the parapet and argue the case, when others who expressed similar concerns have preferred to keep below the radar and no wonder, judging by the insults hurled at us. It could all have happened behind closed doors, rather than here, if those that made the errors had not fought tooth and nail to avoid correcting them.

None of those problems are my fault. Blame the ones who did it.

Much as we would all rather discuss our favourite fell topics, like BGs and so on, someone has to deal with the difficult issues. Like appropriate and good practice response to fatalities, or preferably helping to reduce the chance of them.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 14-08-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Pee'd off yes,
    and only a small vocal minority
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell