Thread: Red Bull Steeplechase?

Red Bull Steeplechase?

Hi

I am new to fell running and wondering if it would be a good (or bad) idea to start with running the Red Bull Steeplechase on 7 October?

To give you some background - I am in my early 40s, in fair shape (perhaps I could lose a few lbs...) and I can run a half marathon on reasonably demanding trails in around 1:40. I am also happy running running hills which is why I want to try some fell running.

I would only plan to run the first 12 miles (assuming I got past the first checkpoint at 8, which I may not of course).

I'd really welcome people's comments. I haven't done any 'fell' training but I do plenty of hill running, but nothing like the same inclines or terrain.

If people it's a good/or bad idea what would be the best training to do in the 7 weeks from now? Presumably hills and endurance, but some strength (ie weights) training as well?

I live in London so I don't have easy access to many fells, but there are plenty of hills and I can use the gym as well.

Thanks (and I hope this is the right place to be posting this and I am not wasting your time!).

Hi Goon

I did steeplechase twice. I was in your shoes the first time and got knocked out at the first stage but finished 21st last year. Its a good race to start with. Not much kit requirements and route is well marked. There's only 2 big climbs (over 500ft) in the first stage ; at the start and after 3rd mile. Here is my run, if you want to look at the route and stats. Go for it.

_|_
    ./\.

so many better value for money races in the peak. it is a good route for those who can't navigate that said a lot of runners have gone the wrong way in 2 of the last 3 years.
    The entry list rarely gets lots of fell runners but does get lots of London road a trail runners.
    I think a guy from serpentine has won 2 or 3 times.

Look at some of the hayfield races or Dark peak races. Crowden horseshoe etc.

There is the Grin and bear it soon from Langsett which is easy to get to from 35a of the M1
    You do need to be able to navigate though...

Thanks - that's very helpful. Impressive perforamce in the last one, well done.

Thanks for this, Ian. Part of the attraction was that I didn't have to navigate, which is the next step for me after seeing whether i can handle the terrain and the hills.... Thanks for the tips on those races, I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner72 View Post
    Thanks for this, Ian. Part of the attraction was that I didn't have to navigate, which is the next step for me after seeing whether i can handle the terrain and the hills.... Thanks for the tips on those races, I will check them out.
    Come up for the weekend I run lots of navigation courses.

Check out my signature below