Thread: Wharfedale Long O event

Wharfedale Long O event

This might interest a few who wouldn't normally consider an orienteering event.

AIRE have a long-O event in Wharfedale on Saturday 13th Sept - 3 long distance courses available: A course 24km/655m, B Course 17.5km/455m and C course 12km/385m. Winning times for the A course will be 2hrs+, B course around the 2hr mark and C course around the 90min mark. Also shorter distance colour-coded courses available - winning times around 45-50mins.

All the long courses will cover the Eastern flank of Wharfedale between Kettlewell and Grassington.

Be warned though - the navigation will be technical and challenging!!

All details here http://www.aire.org.uk/ClubDocs/2014...14%20flyer.pdf

Any Qs, please ask!
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

I see by the rash of replies to this, it's taking the fellrunning community by storm!

No-one brave enough to challenge their nav skills?
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

I'll be on me hols...
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

I've pencilled it into my diary - depends a bit on getting a leave pass but hoping to be there - will be nice to do something with some proper nav given how many fell races seem to require little more than following whoever's in front. It's the Mountain Trial the next day which might have drawn people's attention towards the Lakes.

Yes, putting it on the same weekend with the LDMT (which is a busy weekend with Yorkshireman, Peris and a whole host of other races as well) is unfortunate, especially as they'll attract many of the same crowd. However, the BOF fixture list can be a difficult needle to thread I am told! It's all about avoiding major events, making sure local and even regional events don't clash - can be a headache!

I am aware that at least one crazy Airienteer is considering doing both our Long-O and the LDMT the next day though..... he reckons it'll be good training for the OMM